Coop location in yard

MkJorgy

Hatching
Jun 5, 2020
So, I tend to over analize things (at least that is what my wife says, I have been crunching the numbers for years and haven't decided if I am yet) We are going to be starting a new backyard flock soon. 4 chickens, all different breeds, not bantams and not the super big ones. I live in northern Wisconsin, we have a lot of large trees that shade most of our backyard in the summer. So in my reading, I've read that chickens need sun, but in the summer time do they need direct sun for their coop? I have 2 spots that I am trying to choose which is best. 1 is on the west side and would have direct sun most of the day winter and summer (evening shade). The other spot is on the south side of my house which would be largely shaded in the summer, but would get sun in the winter(most of the day). Is it a matter of which is easier for me, or is direct sun a needed thing?

You DEFINITELY want shade in the summer! Winter sun is awesome, but chickens are more tolerant of the cold than excessive heat. They need lots of deep shade in the summer.
I would go with the south side of house location.

Thank you, that makes sense. Now I can move on to the next 50 things I have to figure out

Consider convenience to your house because you will be carrying feed and water out and eggs back in even in the nastiest weather.

One of the most important factors is drainage. Don't put your coop in a low spot or you will create a smelly swamp. :)
VERY true! We've been known to snowblow a path to the coop!;)

Direct sun is never "needed." You need light to get chickens to lay, but ambient daylight is fine, direct sun is not really necessary though chickens will enjoy having a few spots of it here and there. My run is mostly shade, and the chickens usually stay in the shadier areas instead of the sunnier spots.

Back
Top Bottom