Coop location: too far?

MissGreenJeans

Songster
Oct 17, 2020
Asheville, NC
Hey, chicken peeps! I’m choosing a place to put my new chicken coop and attached run. I have three options, and they all seem less than ideal:

1. In front of house, on gravel (which I could cover with dirt and mulch), close to water and electricity—and me (very close, in fact, to my porch)

2. In the backyard, which is tiny, grassy and pretty much all leach field, close to water and electricity—and me

3. On a mostly flat, grassy spot halfway down my winding driveway, maybe 450 ft. from house, no water, no lights, no electricity

My primary concern is the chickens’ safety. I don’t mind toting water and food to them daily, no matter where they are. I have what I think is a pretty solid coop to put together (large OverEZ and Rugged Ranch 15 ft. run). I also purchased some hardware cloth to use around the run as a predator apron and to reinforce the coop windows. We have a crazy number of predators in my wooded area—raccoons, opossums, bears…. I was considering installing an electric fence as well after getting some great advice on this forum. (Thank you! :))

The grassy flat area furthest from the house is really the most suitable spot, I think, because of shade and run surface they’d have (not on top of gravel, not on leach field). But it feels like a bad idea to have the chickens so far from my house. I wouldn’t be able to see the coop from my front porch. Then again, the raccoons certainly don’t seem shy about raiding the garbage that’s near the house. Proximity might just mean that I can race out quickly to combat varmints if I hear the girls in distress. It would take more time to get to them halfway down my pretty long driveway.

Thoughts about how far is too far for a coop to be from one’s house? Has anyone had their chickens located a ways off? Any other words of wisdom to share? I’m wringing my hands about this decision, wanting to keep my girls safe! I expected to love them, but I’ve bonded with them even more than I thought I would. Losing one or more would break my heart. I realize it happens sometimes—but I want to do everything in my power to protect them and keep them safe and happy.
:jumpy

Hey, chicken peeps! I’m choosing a place to put my new chicken coop and attached run. I have three options, and they all seem less than ideal:

1. In front of house, on gravel (which I could cover with dirt and mulch), close to water and electricity—and me (very close, in fact, to my porch)

2. In the backyard, which is tiny, grassy and pretty much all leach field, close to water and electricity—and me

3. On a mostly flat, grassy spot halfway down my winding driveway, maybe 450 ft. from house, no water, no lights, no electricity

My primary concern is the chickens’ safety. I don’t mind toting water and food to them daily, no matter where they are. I have what I think is a pretty solid coop to put together (large OverEZ and Rugged Ranch 15 ft. run). I also purchased some hardware cloth to use around the run as a predator apron and to reinforce the coop windows. We have a crazy number of predators in my wooded area—raccoons, opossums, bears…. I was considering installing an electric fence as well after getting some great advice on this forum. (Thank you! :))

The grassy flat area furthest from the house is really the most suitable spot, I think, because of shade and run surface they’d have (not on top of gravel, not on leach field). But it feels like a bad idea to have the chickens so far from my house. I wouldn’t be able to see the coop from my front porch. Then again, the raccoons certainly don’t seem shy about raiding the garbage that’s near the house. Proximity might just mean that I can race out quickly to combat varmints if I hear the girls in distress. It would take more time to get to them halfway down my pretty long driveway.

Thoughts about how far is too far for a coop to be from one’s house? Has anyone had their chickens located a ways off? Any other words of wisdom to share? I’m wringing my hands about this decision, wanting to keep my girls safe! I expected to love them, but I’ve bonded with them even more than I thought I would. Losing one or more would break my heart. I realize it happens sometimes—but I want to do everything in my power to protect them and keep them safe and happy.
:jumpy
Can you post a satellite view of your property with each location marked?
Is there any area closer to the house, in the shade that might work too?

My coop is far-ish from my house. It works fine, but I do wish it was closer to electricity. We would set up solar, but there is too much shade there. It's also a pain in really bad weather.

I agree that a satellite pic would help. Google is good for those (unless you live in the woods like I do because all Google shows are trees).

You can have a coop directly attached to your house, 0 and 4 legged predators will still test it out. Being close is only gonna slow down 2 legged varmints.

I live out in the sticks and my coop is a distance away from the house. I like it that way because 0 legged critters are always drawn to a coop. I'd rather not risk them being in my yard. Have enough issues with them traveling through without giving them a reason.

My primary concern when picking a location is drainage. If you put your coop and/or run where water drains to it or stands you will have issues. Unpleasant issues. If the area stays dry life is a lot easier. Everything else can be dealt with.

If drainage is equal, then think about your comfort and convenience. If it is a pain in the rear to take care of the chickens you won't do as good a job of that if it were easier. That's just human nature. It sound like you will be going out there at least two or three times a day. Food and water, lock them up at night and let them out in the morning. Collecting eggs. Bringing them treats or just spending time with them. Will you be wading a creek when it rains or climbing a steep hill?

As far as I'm concerned everything else can be dealt with but your location locks you into several things, good or bad.

My primary concern when picking a location is drainage. If you put your coop and/or run where water drains to it or stands you will have issues. Unpleasant issues. If the area stays dry life is a lot easier. Everything else can be dealt with.

If drainage is equal, then think about your comfort and convenience. If it is a pain in the rear to take care of the chickens you won't do as good a job of that if it were easier. That's just human nature. It sound like you will be going out there at least two or three times a day. Food and water, lock them up at night and let them out in the morning. Collecting eggs. Bringing them treats or just spending time with them. Will you be wading a creek when it rains or climbing a steep hill?

As far as I'm concerned everything else can be dealt with but your location locks you into several things, good or bad.
Very good point about drainage. I didn't think to mention it because it's not a huge issue here, but I've heard countless stories.

Extremely good point.

Regrading your yard can be expensive (and I know because we had to have some grading done after the house was placed).

My pens door is about 30' from my back door.
I can hear them inside my house when windows are open or my AC unit is in the window when they sound a predator alert.
I saved a 7 months old pullet from a Coopers Hawk when my pen wasn't covered, both pens are covered with Deer netting now.
I also run extension cords for lights and heated base.
Also we can get feet of snow here.
20210207_140525_resized.jpg

halfway down my winding driveway, maybe 450 ft. from house,
If your house is that far from the road, and not visible, this is my choice.
Only downside would be the smell.
I grew up with chickens, so I wouldn't be bothered.
My pens have good drainage and shavings and 25 to 50 square feet per chicken, so don't smell.
I have what I think is a pretty solid coop to put together (large OverEZ
I have the same coop. I removed the nylon screens, (just lift from bottom with a flat blade screw driver) They clogged with dust.
I put 1/2 inch hardware cloth over 1/4 inch and screwed wood strips over it. The 1/2" is stronger and the 1/4" keeps most insects out.
20210613_201821_resized.jpg

GC

Our coop is more than 500 feet from the house. We like it that way. Less noise, less smell, and they seldom get in the gardens and dog food (they free range) Except in winter , 5 hoses connect to make watering easier and we added electricity with an underground extension. The electric only gets used for vacations, so neighbors don't have to come over at night. The down side is that they are a bit more vulnerable to prediters, but that is always an issue with free range.

Back
Top Bottom