1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Coop Locks ?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Ellagrace, Aug 15, 2010.

1. Ellagrace

Ellagrace New Egg

Jun 11, 2010
    Why does everyone use key locks on their coops? I understand using locks to keep the predators out, but can’t a chain clip be used? I am finishing my coop up this weekend and don’t know which way I want to lock my coop up?

Last edited: Aug 15, 2010
  2. The Yakima Kid

The Yakima Kid Cirque des Poulets

Some of us have to worry about two-legged predators. The other problem is that any latch a toddler can undo a raccoon can undo.

3. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    I have humans that think it's funny to kill the rooster, and pesky neighborhood kids can be a concern.

Predators, people, and because we build their homes better than our house ")

4. JLS

JLS Love my feathered babies!

May 29, 2009
    Maine
    My Coop
    I use mine to keep people out of my coop. It's safer for me & my chickens.

I truely believe that a lot of people have become cold and calculating. Some people will watch & target individuals to do harm. When we have a schedule, as all of us chicken keepers do, involving early morning and late evening trips to the coop...it can potentially create an unsafe situation.

The world is changing far too quickly and mostly for the worst. Safety first - convenience second.

5. SparksNV

SparksNV Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Spanish Springs, NV
    I used key locks I bought from dollar tree. I keep one set of keys on the coop and one set in my house. I color coded the keys and locks with different colored nail polish (benefit of having 2 daughters!) My nesting box is an old cabinet (found it - free!) then I bought a short piece of chain, 2 eye hooks and a lock to close it up secure.

You can see the lock on the people door in the background to the right.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 15, 2010
  6. grendel

grendel Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2010
    Walbridge ohio
    Roaming packs of teenagers are the worst predators.Some try to impress their friends by maiming chickens or setting them loose.Locks work

7. mrbstephens

mrbstephens Chillin' With My Peeps

Raccoons can open just about every latch. As far as I know they won't figure out that the key hanging next to the door, when put into the lock and turned, will open it.

8. bigoakhunter

bigoakhunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Michigan
    I use hasps that once closed can be turned sideways, with a clasp through the hole. I don't have peopl issues, only predators. It takes 3-4 actions to undue this set, up. Yet I can do it in 2-3 seconds.

If you look at the 2nd picture on my BYC page it shows a picture of the set-up. Most any hardware or Home Depot, TSC has them. I think they are called turnable safety hasps.

9. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    I use key locks because they were cheap, available and effective. I'm not worried about human predators, so I don't hide the key away.

10. 33yardbirds

33yardbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Southern New Jersey
    Those wasklely Racoons can do some amazing things with those little digits. Some people have no respect for private property and just walk over and into your coop and run area. Where I live it is just furry varmits. Both run and Coop are hasped and padlocked for the birds protection.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by