Coop Lovers?

heyjami

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 7, 2008
It's beautiful weather and when I go to the yard to check on the chicks they are all cooped up! I'm surprised that they spend so much time in the coop when they can be outside in the sunshine.

Is this normal?

They're 9/10 weeks old.

Not sure as mine are about 2 weeks old, but I just moved them outside today and after exploring their surroundings quite a bit, they tend to huddle together even though it is warm outside (El Paso, TX). I don't understand it but they seem happier huddled together. I'd let them go with it until they get bigger and they do know best after all. I'd just wait and see....

I'm thinking I should put a window in their coop since they're inside so much. Sometimes I open the door to let some light in there. I wonder if the outdoor space is too small?

Our coop is a large shed that is divided in two sections, one for the chickens and the other for feed storage and other supplies. We have a 4 1/2 foot petition with a door so I can have easy access to my chicks and eggs. On nice days, we open the door and let the air and sun in for those that may want to stay in.

DMK Ranch

Mine go inside when it's too hot outside. I have two windows and a fan on an upper vent for cross ventilation.

I started putting mine out in a chick size run when they were 2 wks old. I put their brooder in the run with their feed and water. But, as you said they would run around a little and then thet would all be sleeping together in a fluff pile.

I do have vents in their coop. I also have vents in their nest boxes. I live in Florida and it get pretty hot here. Even the nights are in the mid to upper 70's. in the summers which last for about 5 months.

4942_coopbrooder.jpg

Mine go in when it is too hot outside. Then they huddle together so they can oll fit on one roost. You would think they get hotter doing that!

Mine come out of the coop at the break of day . they only re-enter to lay during the day . I never have to release them or put them in or out .

I never close their lil pop door , so they have full access .

When it rains or to hot they go under the coop .

Coop and run are connected and have perimeter all enclosed with buried wire . RUN is 12 x32 .

Coop is 2 ft. off the ground , so plenty of space under the coop and they are fully protected from pedators .

I guess thats the big plus . I never have to open to let them out .. they know when its daylight , they come out automatically . and they enter when it starts to get dusk .

They enter during the day only to lay and they come right back out .

Even the younger ones have learned from the older flock .

I have a total of 59 head and I have chicks that are due to hatch nest week .

Back
Top Bottom