Coop maintenance & cleaning

Zillaah

Chirping
Nov 2, 2018
I am wondering if the DE I bought to mix with the new peat moss I plan to spread over the existing in the coop could be toxic? It is not the food grade, it is the pest control version. I am wondering if it is harmful if they somehow ingest some or if they somehow ingest insects that the DE could be harmful to. Anyone know?

Any DE is a respiratory irritant. I guess I don't understand why it's become so popular. I personally don't know the difference between types though. Hopefully someone else can answer that part. I personally prefer good old barn lime. Dries stuff out without the worry. You should use a face mask when using DE.

I am wondering if the DE I bought to mix with the new peat moss I plan to spread over the existing in the coop could be toxic? It is not the food grade, it is the pest control version. I am wondering if it is harmful if they somehow ingest some or if they somehow ingest insects that the DE could be harmful to. Anyone know?
What is your purpose for spreading the DE? If its mites just spray down all the coop with pyrethrin while they arent in there give it half a day to air out then spray again in 5 days to kill any eggs that hatched because pyrethrin does kill the eggs only the mites.

I wouldnt spread much DE without a good reasoning. Food grade can be used in an area for them to have a dust bath but thatd be about it. Its not goodfor you or your chickens to breathe in.

I just read that it was good for a deep substrate additive since I want to just add the peatmoss on the existing peatmoss rather than take out all the current peatmoss. They eventually kick alot of the dirt out through the chicken wire. My coop is 6’Wx8’Lx8’H with a 4’x8’ semi-enclosed area that is 2’ above the ground. During the day they roam free in my yard. They do not show any signs of mites or pests, I am just overly cautious I suppose. First time having chickens, all raised from day old chicks. They started laying what seems to be early so I suppose things are going well. It’s just seems too easy to be true.

Last edited:
The red wall is the enclosed area

Attachments

• D4E6054D-CB41-4959-B73A-0CBF841AA003.jpeg
    D4E6054D-CB41-4959-B73A-0CBF841AA003.jpeg
    673.9 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom