Coop Maintenance... What are my options?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by TheBajan, Apr 7, 2018.

1. TheBajan

TheBajan Chirping

Mar 18, 2018
    Davisburg, Michigan
    I've heard about deep litter method, I've heard about sand, and I've even heard about wood pellets. Can anyone please explain how each of these methods work and what options do I have living in a cold climate (Michigan). Also, our hen-house has a wood floor with vinyl floor covering. Can the deep litter method still be effective in becoming compost?

2. Folly's place

Folly's place Free Ranging

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Your deep litter won't decompose like it would on a dirt floor, but it's still the best way to go, IMO. My coop has a concrete floor, partially covered in rubber stall mats, with shavings on top. It gets added shavings once in a while as needed, and the chickens stir it up hunting for treats and stuff. Cleaned out twice a year, and then can be composted, or spread on the garden or fields.
    Sand, as I understand it, needs to be 'poop scooped' daily, and will still be a frozen mess after a time. It's heavy and would be a pain to shovel out! Also, not so forgiving on chicken legs and feet when they jump down from their roosts.
    I've never used wood pellets, and they cost more than baled shavings, or garden clippings.
    Mary

3. nminusyplusm

nminusyplusm Crowing

Mar 29, 2017
    Deming, NM
    Deep litter can compost in a wood floor coop. Mine does.

I built the coop with that in mind so the doors are raised 1 ft to make room for the litter and the bottom is protected with Black Jack 57 roof coating.

I inoculated the litter with already composting litter from the run and a little dirt from my yard and I add a little water to keep it from drying out. I give it a few turns with a pitchfork occasionally as well as toss in some BOSS for the chickens to scratch.

4. TheBajan

TheBajan Chirping

Mar 18, 2018
    Davisburg, Michigan
    Yes , that's what I thought I would do also. Someone (perhaps you) had already mentioned to me this idea about using Blackjack 57. I purchased it but the problem I'm having is that I can't put it down until the weather warms up another 40 degrees. I don't have that much time left. I need to move the chickens in the next two weeks. So I'm forgoing the Blackjack 57 and using vinyl over the floor. Thank you so much for mentioning the idea of raising the door up. I hadn't thought of that.

5. nminusyplusm

nminusyplusm Crowing

Mar 29, 2017
    Deming, NM
    I think the vinyl should be fine. Good luck and I'd love to hear updates on how it works in your coop!

6. nminusyplusm

nminusyplusm Crowing

Mar 29, 2017
    Deming, NM
    Forgot to add: you could put a thinner layer of shavings, straw or whatever bedding you plan to use down on the vinyl and then when it warms up clear it out and do the black jack. Of course you'd need to let it dry before the chickens could go back in so they'd need to roost in the run or somewhere else for a night.

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I like pine shavings for the coop floor humid Michigan climate, deep litter in run only.

-I use poop boards under roosts with thin(<1/2") layer of sand/PDZ mix, sifted daily into bucket going to friends compost.

-Pine shavings on coop floor over vinyl, add some occasionally, totally changed out once or twice a year, old shavings added to run.

-Runs have semi-deep litter, never clean anything out, just add smaller dry materials.

-Nests are bedded with straw, add some occasionally, change out if needed(broken egg).

There is no odor, unless a fresh cecal has been dropped and when I open the bucket to add more poop.

8. Chad Oftedal

Chad Oftedal Songster

Dec 29, 2017
    Woodinville, WA
    My Coop
    Hi @aart - I've seen in a number of posts (on other threads) that you talked about the vinyl that you used for your floor was a "thicker" or "heavier" backed type than say normal flooring vinyl. Is it actually Marine grade vinyl flooring, and if so, was it easy to find? I'd like to find an 8' x 8' or larger square that I could cut down to fit in one piece, but I'm not sure where to look for the heavier stuff, or if it comes in that large of a size?

9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Don't think it's marine grade. Got it a 'salvage' place.
    I just looked at all they had, bending back corners, and this was the only one that didn't crack(either the vinyl or the backing). It's 0.096" (nominal 3/32) thick.
    upload_2018-4-8_11-59-41.png

10. DARN! I though I was going to relax today, but now I have to go work the coop floor!
    Thank's loads, friends!:oops:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: