Coop maintenance

faithscoop

Hatching
May 5, 2016
I was wondering if anyone could help me with a maintenance question. I have 11 chickens. 7 are adoleceants and the other 4 are adults. I have a run which is probably about 20ft+ a small house, and a large nesting area. Does anyone have any idea how frequently I should clean it and what exactly I should do (shovel, hose down, ect.)? Thanks!

Hi and welcome to BYC :)

There are many ways to maintain your coop. If you click on the Learning Center tab at the top of the page, look in the Housing and Feeding your Chickens section. It has several good articles, and links to helpful sections on the Forum

We have 6 (adult) chickens, their coop area is 8' x 9'. There is a poopboard filled with PDZ under the roost that gets sifted out everyday. The coop floor is covered with pine shavings. That's gets changed out twice a year.

The 8' x 16' covered run has a dirt "floor" covered with grass clippings, straw, hay, leaves and pine needles. This gets added to through out the year and gets changed out once a year.

Everything goes to the compost pile/garden.

We have 6 (adult) chickens, their coop area is 8' x 9'. There is a poopboard filled with PDZ under the roost that gets sifted out everyday. The coop floor is covered with pine shavings. That's gets changed out twice a year.

The 8' x 16' covered run has a dirt "floor" covered with grass clippings, straw, hay, leaves and pine needles. This gets added to through out the year and gets changed out once a year.

Everything goes to the compost pile/garden.
I do about the same.

Back
Top Bottom