coop makeover - ideas appreciated

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by boughtthefarm, Mar 31, 2015.

1. boughtthefarm

boughtthefarm New Egg

Mar 31, 2015
    missouri
    Hi, I bought a small 7.5 acre farm last fall and inherited a flock of aging hens with them. They're around 3.5 years old if I believe the old owners..and I tend to not to since they said they hadn't cleaned the coop in a month and there was at least 6 inches of manure in there. Anyway, after reading some, I am realizing that the coop could be improved upon greatly. The nesting boxes have flat tops, the roosts have them pooping down the wall and on the window sills. I am going to repaint the exterior since it appears they used interior and it's peeling badly. I am also going to finish pulling up the stick on tile and sweep up the rest of it (after I get a mask...dying after 2 hours in there today) and then put down sand. But what are your thoughts on what should stay, what should go, what needs to be moved etc. Tia!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Since you asked for suggestions....you could remove or move the top roost to prevent the crap from getting on the walls. Leaving the roosts in that spot could be improved by adding a poop board.

It sounds like you have a grasp on what you want to do so we have faith you will succeed.

Wish ya the best.

3. Cluckies

Cluckies Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    Poop boards with sweet PDZ for sure. That is going to look great cleaned up! you could put the nesting boxes under the poop boards. Here is a great thread for ideas.

4. Oh yeah and welcome to BYC

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by