Coop management and cleaning/bedding questions

Meeshmom

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 29, 2014
Hi!

I bought my coop, used, from CL. Just got 6 baby chicks today. We're using pine shavings inside the coop with some paper towels on top of the shavings in the nest "carrels" (they're not really boxes, more sections).

As you can see, the run is attached. There's not much grass under the run, it was just the shadiest spot in the yard away from neighbors!

Do I need to add grass pine shavings/clippings/leaves/etc into the run section? Cleaning it would be difficult as it's fairly heavy and moving it is not really an option.

Is it possible to do a deep litter in the coop itself? (It opens from the back, which you can't see.) Or am I relegated to weekly cleanings?

Were newbies, and my hubs isn't really into it, so my kiddo and I are kinda run in solo here!

Thanks!

I'm sort of in the same situation as you, and this is what I do. I fill the coop with about 5 inches of pine shavings. I scoop out the chickens' poop once a week and put a very small layer of fresh shavings on top (I usually just shovel it from the door of the coop). I usually change all of the shavings a couple times a year.
You can look online for homeade coop cleansers, and I really enjoy making and using them in my coop (lavender spray, orange cleanser, etc.).
I puy the shavings in a humongous bag from the feed store for a really good price.

Back
Top Bottom