1. peace7673

peace7673 New Egg

Aug 6, 2014
    Vermont
    So I have a small ellivated coop. The button of the floor is a wood sliding door with a metal covering. One of my girls likes to move the litter and sleep on it. With winter coming I am worried her feet will freeze on the metal. I went to home depot and bought a cheap rubber memory foam mat and cut it to size to fit over the metal and under the sawdust. I am worried though it will cause bacteria to grow since it is a memory foam and very porus. Any thoughts?!

Last edited: Nov 18, 2016
  2. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    A bigger danger will be your chickens eating the soft foam. If you want a foam they can't eat, closed cell foam is better. It comes in the form of camping sleep mats, very cheap, usually blue in color.

But why not encourage the hen to roost? If she's a large breed, they sometimes are reluctant to try to get up to a high perch. Installing one a few inches off the floor would be more comfortable and she might be more inclined to use it.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    No!!! Take it out!!!....she'll peck it apart and eat it.

What is your climate/location?
    Putting your location in your profile can help folks give better answers and suggestions.

4. peace7673

peace7673 New Egg

Aug 6, 2014
    Vermont
    Vermont so pretty cold! The roost is very easy for her to get on too I think she is just weird lol . I will remove it right now!!

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Maybe make the roost wider......pics of coop and roost?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by