coop might be too small.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sherrihargrove, Oct 17, 2014.

1. sherrihargrove

sherrihargrove Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2014
    i got this coop from my daughter, she bought it at tractor supply its really cute but do you think that is why my chickens and rooster sleep in the boxes they have 3 bars inside it, and every morning I have to fix the dividers after he knocks them down in the night. He is about 18 to 20 inches tall and about 5 or 6 pounds. We put a concrete block under the nesting box so he wont break it off. 's the one that looks like a little red barn for 300.00.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2014
  2. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

It's hard to say without seeing it, but sadly, most of those cute mass produced box store coops are just not made for real life. Most are also advertised for way more than you can actually put in them too. Some are really only suitable for bantam breeds.
    With that being said, most can be made functional with a little work. Try adjusting it yourself, maybe you can fix it to where your rooster isn't knocking it apart every night. You could replace the roost poles with something heavier and less apt to break too.

3. sherrihargrove

Oct 17, 2014
    i will try that but we are planning a new bigger coop over the next few weeks. I will upload pics tomorrow.

4. sherrihargrove

Oct 17, 2014
    it acutaly say good or 6 to 8 chickens. Really

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by