Coop modification Help

Welshies

Crowing
May 8, 2016
Alberta, Canada
Hi everyone. I used to raise ducks but am switching back over to chickens. Thus, I need to convert my former-duck coop into a chicken coop.
I don't think I can move it anywhere (I can lift it up though, partially.) It's 4'5'' tall, 6' wide, and 8' long. It follows the idea of a 4 season chicken tractor, except really sturdy. Here's a picture:

(Note: There's a roof over the outdoor part now, too.)
So, I was thinking of taking out the ramp and middle partition. Then, making a complete wall on the closest side. Then leaving the far left side (may be out of frame) only covered with wood on the bottom half... and fully covering the area beside the door.
However, what do you think?? Is there enough height to make roosts? I want to successfully house 10-20 chickens.
This is my first handmade coop ever, si please no negativity.
Edit: Another option is for me to leave this alone (besides taking out the bottom partition) and using it for a few turkeys or perhaps ducks/quail. Then, build another coop for my chickens.
What does everyone think?

Last edited:
Well I would leave it as it is but I'd close the openings with some plexiglass (apart from the door) to offer some protection from the elements and put up a roost inside the enclosed area (maybe 2' tall?). With the size you have I don't think you could get by with more than 10 chickens, and that might be pushing it a bit. Depends on the chicken size and/or temperament. Seems like a nifty setup for a few chickens though :)

Well I would leave it as it is but I'd close the openings with some plexiglass (apart from the door) to offer some protection from the elements and put up a roost inside the enclosed area (maybe 2' tall?). With the size you have I don't think you could get by with more than 10 chickens, and that might be pushing it a bit. Depends on the chicken size and/or temperament. Seems like a nifty setup for a few chickens though :)

I think we're going to build a new one. Simply because I love a variety of poultry, and I can raise a different species in this coop, and build a new one just for chickens. The new one would house maximum 24, but probably 10-15 on average. Considering that the outdoor space is 400sqft, I think building a new one is a good investment in the long run.

Well if you can build a new coop, by all means build a new coop, I guess that everybody on here wishes they could have one more :D

Well if you can build a new coop, by all means build a new coop, I guess that everybody on here wishes they could have one more :D

All that bird math really does affect you eventually.
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom