Coop mostly done. Any ideas how to expand the run?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Mycookoonest, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Mycookoonest

Mycookoonest Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    Hudson Valley NY
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The run right now is an old dog kennel. I do want a bigger run for them especially since we're trying to get Turkeys added to our flock. I want to get something built so that I can walk around in it so it needs to be at lead 6 foot tall I'm 5'6"...

Should we just scrap the kennel idea, OR set up another run and tie it into the dog kennel? Or have 2 separate runs the smaller one kept just like that and a much larger one?

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    shucks... if you have the room, do a much larger one out a different direction... but the type of fencing you have around your current run looks rather pricey.

Good luck.

3. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    I personally am not a big fan of chain link (unless it's the really strong stuff) as my own dog has gone through it like butter. So, if it was me, I'd start over with something stronger and then make it bigger.

However, if you want to stick with the chain link then you could either add more panels to your existing run and thus make it bigger or take one of the sides off and use other wire to add onto it.

4. steven11788

steven11788 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2008
    hickory Nc
    i would do away with kennal, or do a bigger run on the otherside and just leave that one as well [​IMG]

5. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    We recently finished our run. We finally decided on 2" x 4" horse fence at 5' tall. The Home Depot has it for $150 per 100', plus the t-posts. We also used one side of our house as a barrier. Our enclosure is around 1800 sq. ft. It wasn't cheap, but it was the best for a reasonable price. We do intend to make an apron of hardware cloth and even overlap it 1'-2' on the bottom of the horse fence. For the time being, however the horse fence is performing well. I don't ever go far though without locking them up in the coop. I don't think I'd rely on it alone for hours of absence.

6. Mycookoonest

Mycookoonest Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    Hudson Valley NY
    You can't really see, but all around the bottom is chicken wire, the top has an extra panel and bird netting to keep them in and hawks out. We also bought hardware cloth for around the bottom to put in the ground to keep the neighborhood dogs from digging. DH rerouted our invisible fence for the dogs to keep them from tourmenting the chicks.

I'm thinking we may just need to add another run and keep this one for when we need them to be on complete lock down outside. UGH if we had the money I would love to put a wooden fence ( you know the stockade fence) all along our property and let them run... but my dogs would have Chicken for a snack!

7. raizin

raizin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Eastern Oregon
    My Coop
    Electrical fencing. You can use wooden posts set every 10 feet apart. String 2 strand barbless wire every 6 inches-12 inches with the bottom 1-2 feet out of hardware cloth. Then just run a hot electrical twine 4 inches off of the ground, at the top of the hardware cloth and 4 inches down from the top of the enclosure. nothing can dig under the fence, climb over the hardware cloth or come over the top of the enclosure. You can even unwind the 2 strand barbless wire to double the length for the same cost. (not pleasant and easier to do if you only use short pieces of wire. 100 feet is painful to unwind).

I have been reading about a farmer who uses three strands of hot wire only. nothing else. The chickens respond to the hot wire just like every other animal. Not having to bury the hardware cloth or fence up the whole thing to keep every aggressive predator away who wants to dig and tear at your fence. I have not lost any chickens since I got the electrical fence. Lost ten chickens over 6 days before that.
    Good luck, Steve

8. CritterHill

CritterHill Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2008
    SE PA
    Here is what we did for our run. 6' tall 2x4 welded wire fencing with hardware cloth around the bottom couple feet. Then we (ok, my husband) put a couple posts in the middle and framed a roof structure that we put more welded wire fencing over.

Took a LOT of work. But we can easily walk around in it. It is 20'x30' approx

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. CarlaRiggs

CarlaRiggs Chillin' With My Peeps

CritterHill ~

What a terrific run! I'm really impressed at the framework your husband has built. It has a really sturdy appearance.

Carla

10. CritterHill

CritterHill Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2008
    SE PA
    Quote:Thanks. He did get a little crazy with it! But the chickens are enjoying it. And I think he enjoyed building it.

He refused to go out to work on it without taking a treat out to the chickens though. Every day. "But they look at me like they want a treat!" Of course they do, they're CHICKENS!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by