Coop Mystery-Help!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by CrazyChookz, Sep 27, 2012.

1. CrazyChookz

CrazyChookz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2012
    Chasing Chooks
    A few weeks ago, when my hens were still in the old coop, something extremely strange happened. When I let the chooks out, the were small blood splotches/drops on the roof (which opens as a door) a little while later the hens were fighting over a dead mouse, which I snatched from them in case it had eaten rat poison. I wonder if the chooks killed the rat, causing blood splotches or the hens were injured themselves? I emxamine my hens later and found one had a slightly bruised/cut comb.

I know we aren't the chicken police here, or detectives, but i was wondering if anyone knew the answer to this mystery.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
  2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    If the one with the injured comb shook her head that would've caused the blood spatter. I had a similar experience some time ago. My roosters had a fight and one's comb got a bit damaged. He crawled under the sheet I put over their nest boxes and smeared blood all over it. I got such a fright when I went to pull the sheet out later to clean the poop off!
    Other than that it could've been the mouse... my hens sometimes kill one and they toss it around like crazy.

3. CrazyChookz

CrazyChookz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2012
    Chasing Chooks
    Haha! I read that hens eat small mice but they carry diseases.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by