Coop nearly done - run not far behind

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Chicka-boom Chicka-boom, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Chicka-boom Chicka-boom

Chicka-boom Chicka-boom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Our hens have been enjoying their cozy coop for the past week [​IMG] even though there are still some things that are not complete - but it is safe and secure. I will be posting pics as soon as I take the time to figure out how [​IMG] DH has been working hard building an 8 x 12 coop, with an 8 x 8 run. I put up some really cute curtains on the 4 windows. BRAG ALERT! I think you're going to like our coop [​IMG] My tentative name was the Strip Club, or Babaloo Club, but its looking alot more like the Clampetts cabin in the woods or a country cottage, what with the watermelon print and red gingham curtains (old tablecloths and leftover material). So, I may have to choose a different name for the coop - maybe, Little Biddy Cottage in the Woods.
    The coop is split basically down the middle so the hens have their side and we have our side for storage, etc. It has electricity now, and a little heater for the cold, rainy, and sometimes freezing winter weather. The run is covered - important in our climate so that they can go outside without getting soaked. The coop/run is close to our house, for convenience and so that I can keep an eye on them.
    Initially, we considered using a 10 x 10 shed/studio further back on our property that was pretty much complete when I got our 4 pullets. It only required some minor modifications to turn it into a chicken coop. But, after having the chicklets in our mud-room bathroom for a day or two - we decided that the shed/studio was too nice for them [​IMG] and they should have a good but different coop for all their poopin ways [​IMG] so that is why it has taken longer than expected to finish their coop. Also, my DH has had to work on it almost entirely himself. Lately, DD has been helping out, and DS helped a bit too. I am not too handy with tools [​IMG] I'm more a "research and design" type - someone has to make the curtains, name the hens, come up with coop names, learn what to feed and what not too - that's me, the CIO - Chief Information Officer of the family [​IMG]

Sunday evening was eventful - we had a bear wander through our back yard and a skunk spray somewhere closeby - peeyoo! [​IMG]
    I had just put our 4 hens into the coop and locked it up when a neighbour on one side alerted us that a bear had just entered the other neighbours yard. So we skidaddled into the house and looked out the windows [​IMG] Moments later a black bear was ambling across our back lawn, but fortunately it didn't go near the chicken coop [​IMG] It wandered off into the bushes and presumably over the fence. Our yard is completely enclosed with a 6 foot fence, but we back onto a forested area with a creek below, so black bears, coyotes, skunks, racoons, rats, and eagles are common place. For backyarders - living on a city lot (in the Pacific Northwest) we have our share of wildlife [​IMG] If he/she comes back I'll try to get a pic.

2. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

Time to set up electric fence! [​IMG] We use it on a solar set up to protect animals and remote cabins from bear, mose, and everything on down. Kinda fun to see a critter nose hit a hot wire (they kinda look like Phylis Diller when they touch back down!) [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Smoosh

Smoosh Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2011
    Hot Springs, Arkansas
    I have an electric fence around mine and it works so well. The only thing stupid enough to touch it so far is one of our dogs. [​IMG] Keeps out all the critters! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by