1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

coop needs a door

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by foxxracer278, Jan 24, 2010.

1. foxxracer278

foxxracer278 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2009
    morris county nj
    i am almost done with my coop but i am having a hard time thinking of how to get my door to close tight to my coop. i want to make a door that is spit in 1/2 so i can open just the top part and do what i need to with out the chickens getting out. also how should i make it air tight because its 20 out and i want to keep the coop warm.

2. foxxracer278

foxxracer278 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2009
    morris county nj
    i guess if you guys can post some pics of your doors that would be great

3. chickenshagg

chickenshagg THE ALPHA ROO

Apr 18, 2009
    St. Charles, MO
    You can look at how the doors in your house are framed. There should be a small trim board that your door closes against that should help keep the draft out. You can also get some weather stripping to put on the edges. I'm not sure how you are going to or what material you are going to use to build your door. If you build a one piece door and the cut it just above the middle or where the door knob would be. You could use some kind of a sliding pin to lock the two haves together. I think those type of doors are called Dutch doors. If you do make that type I would think that you would need to use four hinges instead of the typical three that most doors have. Another idea is that you can put a lip along the edge of the door so that it over laps the house when it is closed, of course that will only be on the non-hinged side.

Just a few thoughts. Good luck!

4. AtholCoop

AtholCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2008
    North Idaho
    Quote:[​IMG]

I typically carry the trim over the gap between the door and the wall. Works to keep draft out, and also acts as a stop so the door doesn't swing in.

5. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Gosh my chickens fly, fly fly....so if you want to open the top for ventilation you may also need a frame with hardware cloth in it when the solid part is opened...[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by