Coop needs to be built. Eek!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by huntsman, Jan 13, 2010.

1. huntsman

huntsman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2010
    South Africa
    I need to build an inexpensive coop, but I have no idea what components go into one.

I've heard of roost, laying boxes, water/food bowls, but what else?

At what heights are the various parts added to the coop, and does it make any difference?

Not only am I financially challenged, but I am all thumbs. Is there an easy step by step guide anywhere?

Can I leave the door open permanently, if the run is secured and the coop is inside? (Our weather is very hot in summer and moderately cold in winter.)

Thank you!
    Paul

2. dovecanyon

dovecanyon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2009
    Niland, CA
    Go to the very top of the page and click on "Coop Designs". You will find pictures of many great coops, some of them also include info on construction. Just by looking at the coops others have built, you can get a good idea of the usual set-up, then make adjustments to suit yourself and your situation. With your mild climate, an open-sided coop should be fine. Once you have an idea what you are going to build, come back with specific questions and many folks will be happy to help talk you through it!

3. huntsman

Jan 8, 2010
    South Africa
    Aha!

I knew that info would be around somewhere - thanks!

4. heritagebirds

heritagebirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Eastern Shore MD
    My first ones were pvc, but I had ordered the specialty connectors beforehand. Good luck! [​IMG]

5. 2txmedics

2txmedics Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Manvel Texas
    welcome huntsman!....Im like you cant hammer a straight nail in....lol, but DH built me my first coop out of left over hurricane privacy fence, we had gotten hit by Hurricane Ike and we went around getting lumbar off the streets...we had so much in our yard afterwards, that I had to post it free on Craigslist!!!

but this is my first coop out of that we just needed a few corner post, and the rest are actual panels whole.

[​IMG]
    still working on the inside, its pretty large
    [​IMG]
    tree limbs for roosting and they love it!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    attached a dog run
    [​IMG]

then to the back of that one we added two mini coops later for a total of 3 coops now! and we used a dog plastic house as a tiny coop for them
    [​IMG]
    AND THEN....lol, I GOT MORE CHICKENS....and I needed a quick fix!!!!
    [​IMG]
    free in trash
    [​IMG]
    and put up another dog run I got on craigslist for 25.00

6. huntsman

Jan 8, 2010
    South Africa
    HA!

That's a brilliant idea, 2t! So you guys got the last laugh on Ike, eh?!

Coincidentally, I have just returned with a whole lot of abandoned wood from 6 pallets that were beside the highway, and I am going to (have to!) do my darndest to do this thang as inexpensively as possible.

Those tree limbs look great, and the birds are obviously enjoying them, so that's on my list now. Thanks!

You've captured a great 'rustic' feel there, but you do know that you're an addict, right?? [​IMG][​IMG] HA! I just know that whatever I build will be too small....too soon!

Thanks for sharing those great pics.

7. 2txmedics

2txmedics Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Manvel Texas
    Of course Im a ADDICT!!!! why do you think I have so many post? and thats cause Ive been busy and gone for about 3mos!!!!....on the side of my coop Ive also hung some old vintage signs...

Also check craigslist alot for things, under farm/garden type in things like sheds, coops, chickens, chain link fence, kennels, gates, posts, tin anything you can think of....and check under free also...we used for the baby ee's a 6 drawer chest that was no good, and put in roost in each space..for the babies and they use that as a coop until we can get them one...

Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
  8. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    Quote:[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by