Coop number 2

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by boreanaz2k, Jan 14, 2015.

1. boreanaz2k

boreanaz2k New Egg

Aug 16, 2012
    So when we first got the chickens we decided to build a coop out of scraps.... The result was cute and crafty however we were new to the whole chicken owning situation.

First Coop:
    [​IMG]

After this coop became a problem to clean out and to generally do ANYTHING with we decided to build a new coop at our new house (perfect timing to build a new one anyhow!) and of course, when we build a new coop... its perfect timing to get more girls! [​IMG]I wanted an easy coop that I could get in and out of and clean pretty simple and that the girls would of course be happy in. Soooo, we started with a shed from home depot, a plastic one with double doors). I then had the handy hubby install lights in and outside of the shed and cut two holes which we placed doggies door into for either side. (During the winter I keep one doggie door closed to keep drafts out.)

Shed: (for some reason the only good pic I have of it....)

[​IMG]

We stuffed the inside of the shed with boxes for the girls, roosting bars and lots and lots of hay: (this picture has wood chips but imagine it with hay now and new roosting bars [​IMG] )

[​IMG]

Then I took the run area that they had destroyed the grass on and fenced it in:

[​IMG]
    (note the old feeder laying on the ground because we built a new one)

When it was all done with a door to get in the area, I was very pleased:

[​IMG]

A few things to note: I have been clipping the girls flight feathers because they could get over our chain link fence... so this fencing is too tall for them to get over when they are clipped. Also, we don't have an critters that dare stray into our yard to get the girls because my 110lb Pyr mix keeps them far far away.

They really love their new digs and I have to say after 2 years of trial and error I love this setup the most!

Bonus: the girls really love the hay! (some of the girls pictured [​IMG])

[​IMG]

So that's it! I figured after 3 years of roaming the forums I would put up my piece and let y'all see how we keep the girls here. Let me know what you think!

2. Bunnyla

Bunnyla Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2014
    very nice. good job.
    mine was hand made still needs some touch ups. but works pretty well
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. boreanaz2k

boreanaz2k New Egg

Aug 16, 2012
    That's awesome!!! Looks pretty :) glad it works well too

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by