1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Coop odor. Surprise!!!!!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by 6chickens in St. Charles, Feb 9, 2011.

1. 6chickens in St. Charles

6chickens in St. Charles Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    St. Charles, IL
    Geesh, am I nuts or.............. I invited Dear Hubby into the coop this morning, to help me figure if I'm nuts, or what?! He said the same thing happened to him yesterday morning, and its true...........it smells nice in there!

Smells, um, like chicken [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

...and a little like pine chips, and corn............ pleasant, really.

Its been around 4 degrees for a few days, after the blizzard, and the girdies have been stuck in there most days with just a few hours' break to get some sunnyshine midday, but mostly just diggin' away in the coop, fluffing their deep litter to their hearts' content. We don't add any heat or light (no electricity at all, little monkeybirds! they have no idea how to behave around a live wire)

They're 13 birds in a 6x6x6 coop. Maybe their breath is just the right amount of humidity, its not too dusty, not too moist in there. Just right, I guess. Smells puuurty good!

Are we kidding ourselves? Anybody else think their coop smells, um, GOOD?

2. 4 Love of Baby Chickens

4 Love of Baby Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] I doubt it. Good job at keeping your coop smelling good. [​IMG]

3. 6chickens in St. Charles

Mar 25, 2009
    St. Charles, IL
    Quote:Well that's the thing...........we haven't DONE anything to deserve it, hence wondering if we're nuts, at last.

Sometimes I think Purina formulates their feed to make nice poops. Other than feeding purina as the base diet, and throwing fresh pine chips on top of the old ones every couple weeks, we've done nothing; only rarely scrub ugly poop off their roost walls using dawn soap.

Oh, I'll bet this isn't the only nice smelling coop in the world. Or is it just too scary to admit? Is this "one of those things" one shouldn't admit to? Liking the smell of one's chicken coop? [​IMG]

4. bills

bills Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    vancouver island
    The cooler weather probably helps keep the smell down too..[​IMG]

5. rcentner

rcentner Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Le Roy, NY
    if it's dry it should smell good, esp with shavings. It wont smell so perfect when it gets warmer out, hate to rain on your parade [​IMG]

6. sunnyvera

sunnyvera Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2010
    NE Ohio
    6chickens in St. Charles :

Quote:Well that's the thing...........we haven't DONE anything to deserve it, hence wondering if we're nuts, at last.

Sometimes I think Purina formulates their feed to make nice poops. Other than feeding purina as the base diet, and throwing fresh pine chips on top of the old ones every couple weeks, we've done nothing; only rarely scrub ugly poop off their roost walls using dawn soap.

Oh, I'll bet this isn't the only nice smelling coop in the world. Or is it just too scary to admit? Is this "one of those things" one shouldn't admit to? Liking the smell of one's chicken coop? [​IMG]

If you are weird, than so am I. My coop, although small, smells fresh and "farmy". I work inside and like the smell. I use deep litter, putting fresh on top of the poos on the floor. They go outside all day, if they want, it stays pretty clean (except under the roosts) I only 5 birds in there now, 6 more in the brooder to join them soon. LOVE the smell. Even in summer, is ok. Just agreeing with you.​

7. 5isenough

5isenough Out Of The Brooder

Oct 10, 2009
    I like mine, too. It smells earthy, even sometimes when I can see lots of poo, not stinky. I think the deep litter helps, and lots of straw and wood shavings. Nice!

8. farmer_lew

farmer_lew Hi-Tech Redneck

Jun 29, 2010
    In the hills
    I would imagine that the cold weather and the pine is what is keeping your coop smelling good.

9. 6chickens in St. Charles

Mar 25, 2009
    St. Charles, IL
    Quote:MMmmmmm.........Earthy Chicken Smell...................

thanks to all who assure me I've not lost my mind..............

10. 6chickens in St. Charles

Mar 25, 2009
    St. Charles, IL
    Quote:ooow, yes, we recall the summer we tried Nutrena feed....... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by