Coop on ground no floor?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Azriel, May 11, 2011.

1. Azriel

Azriel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Montana
    If it quits rainning construction starts on the new coop next week. I'm going to have sand in the coop and covered part of the run. To keep cost down we arn't putting a floor in. I can get rr ties free, so the coop will be on ties, and will have ties buried 2 deep, thats about 16-18". Will that keep anything from digging in? I've never seen a fox here, we might have a stray one now and then, but do have lots of coons and coyote, and the occasional bobcat and mtn lion. My biggest worry is the coons. I've thought about doing an apron also. Thoughts??

2. ChooksinChoppers

ChooksinChoppers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Ocala, Florida.
    Quote:Ties laying down 2 deep? I should think that would do the trick without having to do an apron.

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

JMO, but I think the RR ties would work as well as wire, if your bury them the full 2 deep. If you're in doubt, tack in wire as your floor, and add the sand or bedding on top of that...

4. drowningcreek

drowningcreek Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2011
    North Georgia
    You might want to consider some Niteguard lights around the perimeter. ours work great and keeps the predators away from the chicken yard altogether. http://www.niteguard.com/pages/Home/

5. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    I think you'd be better off to keep the ties above ground and use a wire "apron" to deter digging.

If you bury the ties, it won't take long for them to rot, and your coop will collapse

They aren't meant for use underground. The less ground contact they have , the longer they will last

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by