Coop on the Hill...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Clucknut, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Clucknut

Clucknut Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2011
    Gave away my flock a few months ago… The 15 year old coop was in serious need of some work that I just couldn‘t bring myself around to doing. It served us well but it (I mean, I [​IMG] ) suffered from a few design flaws. When I built it, bending over to clean it out or catch chickens wasn’t a problem… but that was 15 years ago! We also get standing water occasionally during the summer. A good foot of it if we get a hurricane!
    I’m waiting for a delivery date from the hatchery. (OEGBs this time.) So I got a good start on a new coop this weekend.
    A few years ago, I rented a machine to cut into a hillside in order to create a flat spot for an above-ground swimming pool. I managed to get the pool up, but the machine broke down before I could spread out the dirt I was digging out… The resulting dirt pile has been driving my wife nuts ever since.
    Yesterday, I got out there and knocked the top off the 6ft pile, and got it down to about 2-1/2ft, with a nice flat top, big enough for a 10x10 dog kennel. Now I have a “hill” instead of a pile. Mama’s happy, and if this sucker floods, we’ve got bigger problems!
    I plan on roofing over the whole thing, and building a free-standing, three sided shelter with perches and nest boxes, inside the kennel. My first coop was open ended, and it seemed to work better in our climate. I put down some 2” wire mesh under the base, to keep my Beagles out, and the chickens in. (I’ve never heard anyone talk about their chickens digging out of the run, but I’ve had it happen.)
    Next... The old coop will go out to the curb for the trash man, a few pieces at a time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Wow, that's an excellent start!! VERY well planned. [​IMG]

3. Weiden Farm

Weiden Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2011
    thats awesome

4. CopperCT

CopperCT Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2011
    Really nice!! I can't wait to see the coop! You've done a great job of planning it out. I hope the rest goes well for you. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by