Coop open caged part floor suggestions???

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by momofthehouse, Mar 1, 2014.

1. momofthehouse

momofthehouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2014
    Seabeck, wa
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

So I inherited this coop when I bought the house and it is ok for now but will build a walk in one plus bigger in about a month or so. So my question is the birds free range the property during the day and mostly just use the coop for bed. It rains a lot here and the the too of the "caged" part isn't covered. Right now it is just wet dirt and some rocks. Is there something I can put on the found in the caged part like more rocks cause I can't pick the poop up and it gets soggy. Suggestions?

2. momofthehouse

Feb 5, 2014
    Seabeck, wa
    Maybe something that can keep them busy til I let them out in the morning?

3. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    A good layer of sand will keep the chickens' feet out of the mud and give them something to dig while they are inside.

Chris

4. momofthehouse

Feb 5, 2014
    Seabeck, wa
    I was told that construction sand contains crystalline silica which is harmful. Any other options? That area is not covered or used a ton bit still pretty wet

5. wren

wren Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    St Augustine, FL
    Use play sand.

6. momofthehouse

Feb 5, 2014
    Seabeck, wa
    Yowza that is expensive ha!! I'm going to see about getting some free tee chips from the guys working around our house.

7. abbaschickens

abbaschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Cedar Park, TX
    I use peat moss. The kind you buy in bales at the big box store. The really nice thing about peat moss is that it composts the waste. I then take the peat and work into my garden. Since the material is already composted it works great. Also, there are a lot of health benefits that have been discussed in our local chicken meets.

I have used it for 2 years and it has worked great.

8. momofthehouse

Feb 5, 2014
    Seabeck, wa
    Since I needed a quick fix I just got pine shavings and through a layer down til most of the floor was covered. I'll see how it stands up this week during all the rain!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by