Coop Opinions please

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Welshies, Feb 2, 2017.

1. Welshies

Welshies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    We have it partially built. Here is the gist of things:
    [​IMG]
    As you can see, we have 3 walls (now all 4!!) up. The window is a south facing winter window. The door will fast northwest but TOWARDS the INSIDE pf a three-sided run in shelter.... so completely sheltered.
    The pop door is on the far right bottom corner of the side wall. The side walls are shorter because we will also have windows on the side.
    So... I was thinking of 2 nest boxes, stacked above each other, in each corner.
    I need to know the best roost placement, though.
    I was thinking of putting the roosts in front of, and semi-level with, the window that faces the winter sun. That way, they can warm themselves in the sun when it's cold. Can i put 2 there- one further out and down, and one towards the top of the window, and closer to it?
    I was going to have the poop board rest on the tops of the nesting boxes, so 2' above the floor. However I can also do the roosts on the sides, parallel to the side walls.
    The roosts and poop boards WILL be detachable for cleaning.
    What is the best roost placement, though?

2. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    Mine love to sit in front of the window in the winter. They slide down the roost and follow the sun. How many ft is the long side? # hens? Don't forget that they need room to fly down.

3. Welshies

May 8, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    It is 6' by 8'. I will be starting with 15 chicks, but only keeping a few (i.e., one rooster, and a few hens that I like the most for various reasons. And I will be organizing my roosts as well as possible so that they are comfortable. It is also 7' tall in the front, 6' in the back.

4. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    Go with one roost even with the window. You can always add more. Chickens all want to roost on the highest roost so stair stepping usually doesn't create more space. I would put in a training roost 6-12" off the ground for the chicks. They'll use it more like a jungle Jim but they learn the skill. Once they graduate to the big roost, take it down. You will get by with only 2 nesting boxes. My experience has been they always use the highest nesting boxes so put them on the same plane.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
  5. Welshies

May 8, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    We do need 4 nesting boxes, considering I will have up to 20-25 chickens. We were hoping to stack 2 nesting boxes in each corner, as it is much easer. I will definitely need more than one roost, so maybe I will make perpendicular roosts- one parallel to the window, and another parallel to that far side wall, over the door. My only concern is the poop boards and trying not to bump into them 24/7.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by