1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Coop out of an old playhouse

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by wookiee, Jan 2, 2009.

1. wookiee

wookiee Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2008
    Hi all! I love BYC and am learning a ton here. Thanks so much for the great community.

When I bought my property, there was an old playhouse on it which hadn't been used for 10 years. I don't have kids, and I wanted chickens, so I converted it to a coop. I put two layers of R 3.3 foam insulation on the walls and then covered that with white shower board to prevent pecking and make it easy to clean. I put weatherstripping around the doors and windows. The coop is not heated and it stays about 8-10 degrees warmer than outside when closed up. I currently have 10 pullets.

[​IMG]

The inside dimensions of the coop at 7 x 10 and the porch adds a little to the outside.

[​IMG]

For a roost, I laid a pallet against the wall on a piece of framing wood to hold it without slipping.

[​IMG]

For nest boxes, I am using the ol' 5 gallon bucket trick fastened to an old cabinet turned on its side.

[​IMG]

I am using a heated dog water dish for water, cleaned and refilled daily.

[​IMG]

So far so good, the pullets do well in our NH cold and snow and enjoy going out on the patio for outside time, without having to wade in the frosty white stuff.

The coops is a little "rough" but it is working so far and it's my first time with chickens so I am learning a lot. I hope the girls will start laying soon. [​IMG]

All comments and criticisms are welcome. I would love to improve on my current coop!

2. first time farmer

first time farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I to am from the great state of NH. I like your coop. I think I am going to use some of your ideas in my coop that is a work in progress. I like the heated dog bowl idea. Oh and glad to have you....welcome

Last edited: Jan 2, 2009
  3. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    [​IMG] Thats a great looking coop.

4. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] Cool coop! I wish we'd kept all of the old out-buildings we had on our place when we moved in--but sadly, we used the backhoe & tore them all down. [​IMG]

5. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    First off, [​IMG] !!! Glad you joined us! Second, your coop is absolutely fabulous! Great job and a fantastic use of an abandoned playhouse! [​IMG]

6. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Your chickens have a porch. That is so cool [​IMG]

7. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    Awesome!!!!! I just love it,the chickens sure look like they enjoy it. That porch is great!!!! I have been keeping an eye on craigslist for something like that for a very long time.

8. SarahBeth9394

SarahBeth9394 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    Nice conversion. And you got a half dozen eggs ready. How cool. Was the bottom intended to be used as nest boxes as well or did the chickens decide that for you? Btw how many eggs are you getting daily from the 10 little ladies?

9. bantamman13

bantamman13 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2008
    Glad my chickens can't see this they would go on strike. :lol:Great setup

10. toddy111

toddy111 Chillin' With My Peeps

I love it!!!! I wish I had one like this [​IMG] but it is too big [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by