1. ChcknLady

ChcknLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Western Pa
    I want to paint the outside of my coop, which will be accessible to the chickens (if they decide to peck it). What kind of paint should I use that would be safe for them?

2. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Anything you use will be safe for them once it is dry and the solvent fumes are gone. I'd recommend priming well first and then using a good quality exterior latex. Mistints from the paint/hardware store, or (not too old) remnants from a recycling store or from neighbors etc, are an economical way to proceed; don't skip priming though. And apply several thin coats rather than fewer thick ones.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

3. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

My coops are painted with the $5 paint from Lowe's and Wally World. It usually sets by the paint counter. I think it's the mis-tints or what ever. Some of it is the expensive brand paints ($25+) I get all kinds of wild colors this way.

4. Appaloosa Hill Farm

Appaloosa Hill Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Southern Middle TN
    I used Valspar paint sold at TSC for my coop. It covered in one coat. A friend's husband, who is a painter by profession, came over to paint the top (me on a ladder is SOOOO not a good idea...) and said that it was the best covering paint he's ever come across. It was more expensive ($20/gal) but the time and work it saved me was well worth it. We used "Ranch Red"! [​IMG]

5. ChcknLady

ChcknLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Western Pa
    Thanks everyone. I was thinking Valspar from TSC too. It is actually on clearance at the stores now!

6. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Check Lowe's & Home Depot. I've got the mis-tint stuff in Valspar and Olympic for $5 a gallon. Painted my bathroom with some that I found in a pretty blue and sand for the trim

7. CityChook

CityChook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
    Valspar is nice paint. Make sure you prime first. This is very important and will save you paint/time when it comes to your color...
    have fun!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by