1. Diggidy

Diggidy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2013
    I am making a coop and plan to paint it barn red and white, original i know, but i have to figure there is some utility to these common choices other than nostalgia. I have some questions about both.

I hear white wash has antibacterial qualities and is easy to clean. Does it hold up will in rain and against the intense Arizona sun?

Is what is referred to as "barn red" a paint along the same lines?

Are there brands that are better than others?

Thanks in advance!

[​IMG]

2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    There is a paint called Barn Red. I got mine at Ace Hardware. It was cheaper than most paint, and I think I was told that it's less toxic.

I just used a white paint for trim that I had laying around.

3. Diggidy

Diggidy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2013
    So just any old oil based paint?

4. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Oh, you mean for the white? I used exterior latex. I didn't paint the inside of my coop. Sorry. Did you mean the white for the inside?

5. Primo

Primo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2013
    Texas
    Just get a quality exterior paint. Don't over think it. Birds and chickens in general are attracted to the color red. Maybe this is where the utility of the color came from. I doubt it as I seem to remember reading that way back in the day certain color pigment paints were just cheaper to obtain and often this is what was used. (red and white perhaps?)

6. OScarlet

OScarlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2013
    Don't use alkyd enamel, it took more than 16 hours to start to dry. UGH.

7. MyLittleRedCoop

MyLittleRedCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2012
    My Coop
    I have painted 2 chicken coops.
    The first one I spent a boat load at a big box do-it-yourself store on top quality exterior enamel. I primed it with kilz. It took 5 coats (!!!) to get a good solid red. Even after all that, it peeled after the first winter.
    The second one, I went to fleet farm and bought the cheap barn paint, pre-tinted and self priming. It cost waaaay less. It covered in 3 coats and has had no chipping a year later. If you have a fleet farm, go there! Otherwise find a "farm store" and ask for a good barn paint. ;)
    The white you are thinking of for inside is lime / whitewash. It does have disinfecting qualities but you have to be careful when it gets wet (eg:floor) as it can cause severe burns.
    Good luck!

8. Jynuine

Jynuine Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2014
    Gaston, OR
    Im in Gaston, yaychicks- That Ace on the corner of 47? I'm looking at painting the coop red and white, also- using lime for the white. I need to whitewash the inside of the coop again because we have over 15 cornish and those guys poop a TONNNNNN!
    We are also going to have to repaint our barn.
    I wonder if Wilco has the barn red?

9. Lockdown199

Lockdown199 Out Of The Brooder

Lowes has a paint called barn and fence red nothing fancy.

10. Jynuine

Jynuine Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2014
    Gaston, OR
    The only lime that would cause burns is the lime you use in gardening, not whitewash. You should be using hydrated lime- it cures and shouldnt 'burn' anything if it gets wet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by