Coop/perch sleep arrangements

Matilda2016

In the Brooder
Feb 10, 2016
Hello.

I have recently rehomed 5 beautiful girls. They have started to settle and have even started to lay (not bad considering I moved them 2 days ago!)

Now my question is. The lady gave me their coop. Great, hoped it would help them settle, saved me money and time. The coop is home made, very good quality, opening lip so easy clean but no perches! It is quite low in height, so I don't think adding a perch is going to work.

The hens seem very happy with this arrangement but are laying and pooping in one place. Not great.

Am I best to bite the bullet and replace with a coop with beating boxes and perches or shall I leave my birds as they are, they do seem quite happy huddled up at night.

Look forward to your advice :)

For sanitary reasons, they shouldn't be pooping where they lay, nor should they be sitting in it as it could end up caked to their behinds, I'd give them a bit of time to get used to you, but I would get going on a better coop. You may have to spend some time putting them on the roosts at dusk in the new coop, but they also might be happy to have a roost.

Thank you for coming back so quickly.

I think the older girl of the bunch is used to having a perch as she is hoping up onto everything she can and resting on there. Even the bin lid handle is acceptable!

Can you just add on to the existing coop? For example if there is room, you could cut holes in the side to hang some exterior nesting boxes to solve that problem.

Back
Top Bottom