1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

coop pics for ducks/designs??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by schoebel_taylor, Jun 28, 2009.

1. schoebel_taylor

schoebel_taylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    Central Wisconsin
    Im new to ducks but am getting about 10 runners. Does anyone have some designs or pictures of their duck coop/run so i can get some ideas? any help is appreciated. Thanks [​IMG]

2. xfilesnumber1fan

xfilesnumber1fan Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Missouri
    Here is mine..They are let out for the day..and have a huge nest inside the pet barn going...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 28, 2009
  3. streemers

streemers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2008
    port orchard,WA
    right now mine stay in my green house at night but we are doing the same as xfilesnumber1fan for a night spot that is safe. we also have a racoon issue here so we are putting chainlink across the top. but that is a great way to do it

4. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    [​IMG]

"Waddleon Inn" is where my 2 muscovies and 1 Khaki live. I let them run my entire backyard when I am home and can keep an eye on them too.

5. Trenary Duck Farm

Trenary Duck Farm Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2009
    Michigan UP
    Quote:The two designs that you have been shown are not good against weasels and minks. Furthermore, smart racoons can easily pull out a chick through the wire, or even tunnel under it.

I have seen these same pictures over and over. These pens were designed to keep in dogs that do not dig.

6. xfilesnumber1fan

xfilesnumber1fan Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Missouri
    Quote:The two designs that you have been shown are not good against weasels and minks. Furthermore, smart racoons can easily pull out a chick through the wire, or even tunnel under it.

I have seen these same pictures over and over. These pens were designed to keep in dogs that do not dig.

Since I live smack in the middle of the city,I have no weasels,and have never seen a mink in my life..Dont think I would even know what one looks like..I have welded poles and wire across the tops because my ducks fly..And when I put them in the cage I want them to stay not fly out..There is NO chance here of any thing digging..I have lived here for 10 years..Have no babies in that cage I think Im pretty good to go!!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2009
  7. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina

This pen is within another fenced in (with electric wire) area, guarded by a tom turkey during the day. It has chicken wire on top to guard against hawks and at night they ducks are locked up tight in the house. They are as safe as they can be. We have thought of everything we could to keep them safe. Nothing is 100% short of keeping in our house.

8. froggie71

froggie71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Shamong, NJ
    [​IMG]

This is our duck house. Used to house guineas also (which is why so tall), but had problems with keeping the males together. Anyway we have chickenwire enclosing the entire run and it is buried about 2ft down and about 1ft out. We live in the woods and have been expecting predators, but haven't seen any yet. We have a dirt floor and have added sand to the run. Was working well until all the rain we've had. We have also added a large water bowl that they take turns swimming in while in the run and have a kiddie pool outside until we getting a pond put in for them.

9. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    Quote:Our ground looked exactly like this. We threw some quick growing grass seed in there and now they have grass instead of mud!!! It worked for us!!

Laurie

10. thedoors5to1

thedoors5to1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2009
    I like the coops i saw above, along the same lines as my own. I also have runners [​IMG] but i would suggest buying the smallest holed wire possible, runners are small, and i lost one of mine because it stuck its head through chicken wire one night, something came by and took its head. it was a gruesome discovery in the morning, i cried so much! but learned a lesson, i suggest buying the small wire with the little squares that are about half an inch by half inch( bunny coop wire?), NOT chicken wire, because ducks can stick thier long necks through the holes.
    [​IMG] good luck

Last edited: Jun 29, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by