Coop pics. thoughts please

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Dukes7779, May 22, 2019.

1. Dukes7779

Dukes7779 In the Brooder

Apr 15, 2019
    Northern NY
    Hey all, I’m putting up some pics of my coop build, it’s almost complete. Chickens going in soon so I’d like to make any big changes before that (if needed). Let me know what you think!

39B53D4B-C332-4E59-A708-793BDCFCBCA7.jpeg E1A9D52B-BAD5-499E-8D32-4A352C782010.jpeg 245E5964-E2B5-480C-A71A-23A57096B764.jpeg BA80388D-BCB6-4081-8911-720F0E85ECB9.jpeg 5141B0BD-03DF-4200-A77E-E11B6816AFD5.jpeg 39B53D4B-C332-4E59-A708-793BDCFCBCA7.jpeg

Coop is 8’ x 8’ with 5’ walls.
    Using deep litter method with hemp. Linoleum lines floor and will go a foot up the walls. It also lines the poop board that will have PDZ in it. LOTS of ventilation with large windows, open eaves, and open roof ridge to keep cool in the summer and dry in the winter. May have to seal the front window and window behind the roosts in the winter to avoid drafts on the chicks, thinking the other window and the eaves will provide enough ventilation in the winter.
    I have the pop door and nesting box closed off for now. Will keep pop door covered for a few days after they’re in to get them accustomed to the coop. Will keep the nesting box opening covered for a couple months until the start getting close to laying.....too long to keep closed?
    The box under the poop board is a rabbit hutch/hide. Chicks and bunnies have been around each other for several weeks and doing fine together.
    Will add more pics tomorrow and as needed. Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. gtaus

gtaus Songster

Mar 29, 2019
    Northern Minnesota
    Very nice. I see a lot of the Carolina Coop design on YouTube in your coop with the deep litter method. I like the long big drop down panel for cleaning out the litter. The two doors with removable windows is another idea I hope to incorporate into my design. I already bought some lift off hinges.

I can't tell how high off the ground your 8X8 foot coop is built. It looks less than 2 feet high. High enough for the chickens, but how do you access the area underneath the coop if you need to for any reason? (sick or dead chicken, stray egg laying, etc....).

I find your inside setup very interesting. I used to raise rabbits, so I like the idea of having rabbits in with the chickens. How many rabbits will be in the coop?

Your idea for a poop board/shelf under the roosts took me by surprise. I thought most roosts in a deep litter method just let the poop fall directly unto the deep litter. It looks like you would have to clean out the poop shelf daily, or did I get that wrong?

I am debating whether or not to have external nest boxes that are accessed on the outside. A local guy told me that external boxes are great 9 months out of the year, but are a real challenge in the dead of winter. They can be drafty and the eggs freeze fast. I might go with a walk-in coop and have nest boxes completely within the coop. I don't know yet.

Thanks for the pics. You have given me some more ideas to think about. Very nice setup and I hope it works well for you.

3. Dukes7779

Dukes7779 In the Brooder

Apr 15, 2019
    Northern NY
    Hi thanks! Yes, I like the Carolina Coop design and modeled it after that. It is about two feet plus off the ground, I’m able to crawl under there without any problem. I have considered an access door at the back too.
    We have three rabbits that will be in there.
    Yes, poop board with deep litter is a bit contradictory. My initial design was deep litter only but as I got into it I read about the cleanliness off the poop boards with PDZ.....so I ended up with both. If for some reason I don’t like the poop board I can easily rearrange everything. Also, the rabbits played a role in the poop board decision (rabbits were the kids request well into the building process).
    I have considered the eggs freezing with the external nest box and plan to use rigid insulation for winter and monitor closely.

Thanks for your reply, gtaus!

4. Col1948

Col1948 Songster

Sep 9, 2018
    Manchester UK
    I have poop boards under the roost and clean off daily, it only takes a few minutes, it's so easy.
    Some people leave it for days/weeks then it becomes a chore, next time you go to the toilet don't flush it for a few days or even a few weeks lol.

5. Celticdragonfly

Celticdragonfly Songster

May 17, 2018
    Saginaw, TX
    I think it's beautiful. I was showing my husband how you did the ramp up to the poop board, and asking him to do something similar for ours.

6. tpatricco

tpatricco Songster

Mar 24, 2019
    Warren, NJ
    Really nice job! Looks great and appears really well thought out!

ButtonquailGirl14 likes this.
  7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I'd remove the nest ramp and put a perch about 8" out at bottom of entrance.
    Move poop board/roost ramp down to far end.
    Both these mods will make it easier to clean poop board.

8. gtaus

gtaus Songster

Mar 29, 2019
    Northern Minnesota
    So can you stand up in your coop or do you have to bend over? I'm at an age now where I think about those things...

9. gtaus

gtaus Songster

Mar 29, 2019
    Northern Minnesota

ButtonquailGirl14 likes this.
  10. ButtonquailGirl14

ButtonquailGirl14 Crossing the Road

Jul 13, 2017
    Northport WA
    Isn't there diseases that rabbits and Chickens can contract from each other?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: