Coop placement and well

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by pigcoon, Apr 22, 2009.

1. pigcoon

pigcoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Vermont
    Apologies if this has been answered a hundred times; I couldn't find it in a Search.

I am placing a small coop with a small run for 5 hens in the next month. We have a well for our water to the house. The well is about 250 feet deep. With only 5 hens and a deep well, are there guidelines about how far away the coop should be from the well? At present, I'd like to locate the coop about 25 feet from the well access (lid).

My hunch is I don't have to worry, but is there common wisdom about this?

2. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    In theory it shouldn't matter, as the well should have a totally sealed casing.

In practice, personally I'd keep them at least that far away if possible (although certainly 5 hens is a lot less of a possible issue than 50 would be). Because you don't generally find out that your well casing is cracked or otherwise defective except by finding out the hard way, which can be unpleasant and bad for the aquifer.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

3. sherrydeanne

sherrydeanne Chillin' With My Peeps

As long as the well and coop aren't sitting in a big ditch (and heck, even then) I wouldn't worry about it. Dogs poop near wells all the time and we don't think anything of it.

4. pigcoon

pigcoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Vermont
    Thanks. I didn't know that about wells (that they had a sealed chamber). I suppose I should research them too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by