1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Coop plan critics needed

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Welshies, Jan 25, 2017.

1. Welshies

Welshies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    So here's my coop plan. It's a little messy but you can see on the inside (bottom right drawing I believe) that there's going to be a shelf, for the chickens, in half of it (to give more room) and some roosts, and underneath that shelft a few nesting boxes, but what can i change?
    [​IMG]

2. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Ugh let me start over. I'm a dunce. Okay I see it is 4x8. What breeds are you wanting to keep in there? That will be tight for 24 chickens like you noted on the upper corner, especially with only an 8' roost.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
  3. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Go with a 10X6 roof so that you have extra overhang incase you need to add more ventilation. Maximum capacity for your region, with a coop that size is 8 birds, and even that may be too many in the winter.

4. Welshies

May 8, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    That was my max number. I won't be keeping 24 in there usually. At most, probably 20, for short time periods.
    I'm aiming for 10 to 15 in the coop itself on average.

5. Welshies

May 8, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    8 birds? No... Your math must be wrong. Sorry. But I'm aiming for 10-15 birds on average, and the extra shelf provides kind of a second story- more room for comfort. As well as the fact that they have free range access during the day as adults.

6. Welshies

May 8, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    Also... what if I got an extra piece of 4 by 8' plywood just to make the coop 6' by 8' instead?

7. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    I'm pretty sure that it's your math that is wrong. 24 birds in an 8x4 coop equates to less than 1.5 sq ft per bird. The average sized chicken takes up a single sq foot just standing still. If it chooses to flap it's wings, that's 3 to 4 sq ft. That means you should have a minimum of 4 sq ft per adult bird, more if they are very large breeds. Overcrowding stress is serious, and often overlooked by first time chicken keepers. It causes all sorts of issues from poor production to extreme cannibalism. That's right, they can get so desperate for space that they kill and eat each other. That's why commercial birds are debeaked. And if it's raining or windy, the birds aren't going to be out much. In winter, that means they could be spending days on end crammed into that coop. 8 birds max.

8. Welshies

May 8, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    I know this, haha. And I believe you're not equating for the second floor of space, as well as the other coop.
    On top of that, I never said I will be keeping 24 chickens at once in here... I always give myself a maximum number.
    4 sq ft per bird is a bit much for my setup and climate, as well as the fact that they free range during the day and have access to a night-time run (in good weather). I'm aiming for 3 sq ft per bird.

9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    How are they going to get to a 'second' floor in that narrow of a coop?
    Free ranging does not negate the need for plenty of room inside the coop.
    Nor does a "night-time run (in good weather)".
    I believe your winter weather can be very harsh, they may spend days on end inside that coop.....don't short them on space.

10. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    A second coop does not resolve the lack of space. They will all try to pile into one coop, even if it is too small. And a shelf does not equate to a second floor. 3 sq ft per bird is about 10 birds max.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by