Coop plan you used, liked and would reccomend?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by awesomefowl, Jan 9, 2011.

1. awesomefowl

awesomefowl Argues with Goats

my dad said we could build the Seramas a coop so they can move out of the kitchen. but I need to find a good plan for it that works in cold weather, is not too small and isn't too hard to clean.
    i was considering the pallet coop plan from my pet chicken-- anyone used it? what do you recommend? thanks!!!

2. Chicken.Lytle

Chicken.Lytle Chillin' With My Peeps

Build it yourself. Free Craigslist materials are usually available.

Be sure to eliminate drafts!!! Cold is not generally a problem for dry chickens without drafts.

Important to imagine performing all the necessary activities (if you do not currently have experience). This will help eliminate a lot of design flaws.

Browse the BYC coop designs for ideas. Consider looking at my blog pages related to the coop design errors I had to correct. You can find the links on my BYC page or by going through my sig.

One more thing: build it with screws instead of nails. Much easier to improve this way.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
  3. awesomefowl

We need a plan though because Daddy doesn't know how to design one. i am going to help though so I can learn . I can't just build it myself because I don't know how, and since I am only highschool age I live at home. I do have chickens already but their coop was a shed already so we didn't have to do much to it.
    Thank you for the advice though. I will test all coop plans that way.

4. bburn

bburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    Do a search online and all kinds of chicken coop plans will come up. Once you finally find what you want find what you want post it on here and let everyone add their two cents worth....all comes from experience. We can all think of things we would change about our coops on the NEXT one!

5. awesomefowl

will do! [​IMG]

6. libertychicken

libertychicken Out Of The Brooder

I used The Garden Coop (google it) and was very pleased both with how it looks and how it functions. It's pretty simple to build, though my husband does have a lot of carpentry experience. If you run into troubles, though, the website says to email them and they will walk you through any confusion. I tweaked the design a little. now I wish I had insulated the walls, and I do cover the open top of the coop box for winter, but overall I'm very happy with it. All told I spent about $750 on materials, but that could be done less expensively if you shop around or use some found materials - we just did all the shopping in one trip at Lowe's because we were in a hurry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by