coop plans-thoughts?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Christine21656, May 26, 2010.

1. Christine21656

Christine21656 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2010
    Oakdale, MN/Somerset, WI
    DBF and I are planning on doing most of the work to the coop this weekend. He has a shed on his land, and this is the lean-to on the shed... so the side that I didn't draw is actually the side of the shed. We don't plan on putting any plywood on that side. It is a metal shed, and metal roof. I might switch around the food/water and roosts, (roosts on the back... not sure yet) Do you think it will need insulation? Is this enough ventilation? The run area, we plan on having about 13'x8' on the front..DBF wants to be able to see them from the house. Any thoughts, tips, or ideas? Right now, we have 5 silkie babies [​IMG] and plan on getting 5 chicks at the feed store this weekend (for some normal sized eggs lol) ETA: I almost forgot.. the run will be made out of chain link, with privacy slats to make the holes smaller... Do you think we need the privacy slats? We hope to put big rocks/boulders around the outside of the coop and run, do we still need hardware cloth to go under? I think that's all, for now [​IMG]

Here are my drawings:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 26, 2010
  2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Well...metal sheds are not very weather friendly, IMO, so yes, I would definitely insulate, especially the ceiling area, as many people have moisture/sweating issues with metal. Also, silkies are not a cold hardy breed, another vote of insulation. You'll want ventilation going even in the winter, but be thinking of ways to shut part of down temporarily, in cases of severe winter weather. If all of the criss-crossed lines are your ventilation areas, then it looks like you'll have plenty.

The only other thing I'd advise is NOT having to go through the run to get to the people door. I wasn't clear if that was part of your design or not, but I saw the pop door, so kind of assumed.

3. Orchid

Orchid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    North Central MN
    [​IMG] I see you are also in MN - I would definitely insulate. You'll have less temperature swing year round and you (or more specifically, your chickens) are going to need it in the winter for sure.

4. Christine21656

Christine21656 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2010
    Oakdale, MN/Somerset, WI
    I thought silkies were cold hardy, since according to this http://www.mypetchicken.com/chicken-breeds/Silkie-Bantam-B100.aspx They are winter hardy. Maybe it's not the same thing, though? I will insulate, and look at my plans to see other options for the people door and pop door being in different places. The cris-crossed lines are where the hardware cloth is going to go, and that was where the run was going to go (with the pop door and people door). Thanks for the advice! Does anyone have any more?

5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Quote:Hmmm...I just looked it up on a different chart, and it said the same thing. And yes, cold hardy means pretty much the same thing as winter hardy. It said they don't do well in fowl weather, so I guess that means don't let them get wet. Last winter there were several reported incidents of losing silkies in areas that had lots of snow, but maybe it was the combo of wet/cold conditions... [​IMG] Sorry to give misinformation. I might post about it so that folks who raise silkies can give some clarification on that.

6. fiddleblue

fiddleblue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    I would definitely put in the "privacy slats" in the chain link as otherwise the chain link openings are large enough that chicken heads can poke through and get lopped off or stuck in there. The henhouse looks beautiful. Good planning!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by