Coop Plans

cochicks

Chirping
9 Years
Jul 25, 2010
Colorado Springs
Has anyone used the "Garden Coop" plans? I'm considering using those to build a coop for spring. Are they good plans? If I put the nest boxes on the exterior, will there be enough space for ten hens? Thank you for your thoughts!

Most BYC Members prefer to have a minimum of 4sf per hen in the coop and 10sf per hen in the run. Also, you will want 12" of roost per hen.
Most actually prefer even more space.
So for 10 Hens think 4'x10' or 5'x8' for the coop and 10'x10' or 5'x20' for the run.

My real recommendation would be to just build a 8x8 coop like the one in the Building Chicken Coops For Dummies.
You will really appreciate the extra room for storing all the chicken stuff. Plus with chicken math...

Oh, those are nice plans. Just not for that many hens.
That has a 10x6 run area (ok for up to 6 hens) and the coop looks to be about 3'x6' (good for 4 hens.)

Last edited:
I built the Garden Coop. I was very impressed with the plans I recieved. Very easy to follow and the materials list was dead on. I slightly modified the plans to suit me. I keep 7 hens and a rooster in mine comfortably. I did have 11 in there at one time but I got rid of 3 roosters.

Any way here is the link to my thread with pics of the building process. Good luck!!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=4235833#p4235833

While I agree that more space is always better, it's still a lot more space than commercial chickens get (1.5 sq ft per hen). Not to mention NO access to the outdoors. The coops for dummies book suggests 2-4 sq ft per bird in the coop and 3-6 sq ft per bird in run. Also stating that more is better.

I think I'm going to modify the plan a bit by adding an extra section to the run and an extra couple feet to the coop. We plan to get started in a few weeks. I'll post pictures!

Awesome.
big_smile.png

It is a great coop and easy to extend out for more room.
It would be really easy to make it 8ft wide if you wanted to as well since lumber comes that way.

i dont think its going to be enough space for 10 chickens. unless you plan on adding on to the coop?
just my thoughts.

Back
Top Bottom