Coop Poop Control...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by 3sacrowd, Jun 20, 2011.

1. 3sacrowd

3sacrowd Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2011
    Hi,

We have the garden coop. It's done and super cute. My DH spent hours and hours working on it and I don't even want to know the final cost... [​IMG]

The girls are happy. So happy that they are POOPING everywhere! Well, we don't really see the poop in the run because it is filled with sand. The big problem is the pooping on the ladder. I took the ladder out this morning and hosed it off (it's currently slowly drying here in the not so sunny northwest). I really don't want to do that EVERYDAY but seriously, it was gross. I just had the idea to paint it brown so it wasn't so nasty looking.

Is there anything we can do to help control the Coop Poop on the ladder? Sprinkle something on it. It's sometimes runny and then they step on it and it smears and spreads. It's a veritable poo-storm. I realize that these little egg producers are also producers of poop. But please, am I resolved to taking the whole thing out a couple of times a week and hosing it off? Anything we put on there to make it slippery for the poop would make it slippery for the ladies?

Inside the coop looking down at the run:
    [​IMG]

From the back looking at the nest boxes:
    [​IMG]

And I just realized that there are no pictures of the ladder/landing setup. Bummer.

Inside the nest boxes (Keep in mind that they aren't used yet...)
    [​IMG]

Thanks in advance...

Kandi

1 DH, 3 Kids, 6 Hens: Blueberry - BCM, Blackberry - Barred Rock, Sunny - BO, Buttercup - Buckeye, Marigold - Ameraucauna, Pearl - Silver Laced Polish

2. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    unfortunately you will need to clean it if you want it clean. To my knowledge you can't house break a chicken.

3. kgeorge

kgeorge Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Beech Creek, PA
    Why do you have chicken wire across the front of your nesting boxes?[​IMG]

4. stargirl

stargirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    UK
    I'm racking my brains but I can't think of a solution, other than to make it a 'cover' out of something disposable like newspaper, that you keep replacing. Can't really picture how that could work though!

Your coop, though, is GORGEOUS! I can't let my girls see - they'll be so jealous!

5. tiffanyg2

tiffanyg2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    SC
    Lube the Ladder with Petroleum Jelly [​IMG] It should slide off real nice!

I don't know any other way to keep it clean... How high is it? If it's painted with a semi gloss paint it should come off pretty easy if you do decide to hit it with the hose.

6. 3sacrowd

Apr 4, 2011
    Quote:We did that so they would get used to sleeping other places before they could get into the nesting boxes. They are twelve weeks old tomorrow and we didn't want them to get into the habit of using the nesting boxes for anything other than nesting...

I was under the impression (I think I read it somewhere) that you were supposed to block the nesting boxes off before they were ready to use them. I was going to unblock them and put some ceramic eggs in there when they are about 14 weeks. Might be doing this totally wrong... [​IMG]

Well - it looks like the consensus is to just wash off the stuff. I was wondering if there was something to sprinkle on that would make it easier to wash off. It was gnarly gross today.

Thanks!

Kandi

7. 3sacrowd

Apr 4, 2011
    Quote:Thanks, Stargirl. My DH worked so hard on it. He isn't a "handy" type of guy but with the plans, the directions, and the help of his friend who is a great woodworker it came out super great! I love it! My favorite is the pink polka dot linoleum in the nest boxes. I know it will be covered up with bedding but seriously - I would just love to lay an egg in there.

I'm thinking of adding curtains and attaching them with velcro for a bit more privacy in the boxes. I wonder if I can find something that will match the linoleum. The mind reels. Also, we need to decorate the inside. I was thinking of enlisting the help of the art teacher at the school where I work. She mentioned something about funky plaids... the mind reels. [​IMG]

Kandi

8. stargirl

stargirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    UK
    Haha you sound just like me! My girls have blue polka dot oilcloth in the bottom and it makes me very happy whenever I see it!
    Curtains and funky plaids [​IMG] They're going to be the hippest chickens in town!

I've heard the same about blocking off nestboxes, its a great idea [​IMG]

9. blefky

blefky life in the yard

Mar 18, 2010
    stamford, ct
    The poop is just a chicken keeping reality. [​IMG] I scrape it off regularly and scrub it when it becomes too much. Are they roosting on the ladder? If so, you might try putting up a roost in the run which is higher than the ladder, chickens tend to prefer the highest available roost. Love your coop/run set-up, it's adorable. [​IMG] Also, I always cover the nestboxes until the young ones are at point of lay.

10. moetrout

moetrout Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Milan, MI
    I dust my roosts with DE from time to time. It doesn't make the poo come off any easier. I do it just to dry them up a bit because I won't remove them and wash them. I scrap the poo off the roost and if its wet sprinkle it with DE.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by