Votes: 8 20.5%
  • 3. More than $400

Votes: 9 23.1%
  • 4. More than $1000

Votes: 14 35.9%
  • 5. Less than $3000

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters

We are currently in the process of building our coop for our girls. So far we have spent roughly $300.00 and that will be partially for the run too! I will post pics when it is finished. Which reminds me how do you post and attach pictures yourself without replying to someone else's post.Also how do you upload a profile pic. I'm doing this all from my phone do you have to use your computer?
Can you tell I'm new to BYC?!

Our coop is further along now than shown, but this is the most recent photo I have to upload.

Every time I run to Home Depot for yet another material for this god forsaken project, I wonder how many years of eggs we will need to obtain from these chickens before we break even :lau
We originally started building a 4x4 coop but ran into problems. Decided we wanted bigger and restarted (=more $$$) on our current 8x4 coop. This is our first time undertaking such a big building project, so there have been many miscuts and wasted lumber. Aside from wood, we experimented with different hardware and that got more expensive than it should have too (he wanted nails, I wanted screws, needed multiple lengths for different areas of the build, etc) and of course the linoleum, the shingles for the roof (shingles are so much more expensive than I ever imagined for the small amount you get in one bundle!), hinges and locks, etc. then comes the lumber for the run (16x12) and $250 worth of hardware cloth just for that!
Of course, I needed help from my husband with this build and he kept complaining that he didn't have the right equipment for the job. Insert $150 miter saw and $90 drill kit.
We have easily over $1000 in this project and that's embarrassing lol. I'm sure it could have been done for way less but we are newbies.
At this rate we are looking to be in the green after about 3000 eggs from our 12 chickens :lau

Last edited:
Would be nice to see your coop when your done. To post profile photos I guess you have to go to "my profile" on upper right corner, then scroll down toward bottom, you will see "upload photos" Or you can start new thread from this forum to add multiple related photos. Am doing this on my iPad not sure about the phone format.

We bought a shed for $1200 and converted it. It was cheaper than the plans we bought and the cost of lumber to build it. It is working great because we already of plans of expanding.

Our coop is further along now than shown, but this is the most recent photo I have to upload.

Every time I run to Home Depot for yet another material for this god forsaken project, I wonder how many years of eggs we will need to obtain from these chickens before we break even :lau
We originally started building a 4x4 coop but ran into problems. Decided we wanted bigger and restarted (=more $$$) on our current 8x4 coop. This is our first time undertaking such a big building project, so there have been many miscuts and wasted lumber. Aside from wood, we experimented with different hardware and that got more expensive than it should have too (he wanted nails, I wanted screws, needed multiple lengths for different areas of the build, etc) and of course the linoleum, the shingles for the roof (shingles are so much more expensive than I ever imagined for the small amount you get in one bundle!), hinges and locks, etc. then comes the lumber for the run (16x12) and $250 worth of hardware cloth just for that!
Of course, I needed help from my husband with this build and he kept complaining that he didn't have the right equipment for the job. Insert $150 miter saw and $90 drill kit.
We have easily over $1000 in this project and that's embarrassing lol. I'm sure it could have been done for way less but we are newbies.
At this rate we are looking to be in the green after about 3000 eggs from our 12 chickens :lau

Oh! My! Does that sound like us! 8 chickens, so a 6x6 coop should do, but no, add on two feet for storage and a gaden shed, then let's use the old house windows and make part of it a green house, and then let's have a gabled roof, like the chickens will care, and then how about another part to store the lawn mower... We're now up to a 12x18 building with a 6x18 covered area on the back. The winter weather slowed my DH down so the chickens have a beautiful but unfinished palace because there are no walls up to divided the spaces. On bad weather days they stay in and perch on the hay bails or dig in the dirt floor. On nice days they free range and terrorize the bugs in the yard. Cost- I stopped counting after $1000. and I won't go near the lumber store with him anymore. I've also decided it's too big for just 8 chickens so my girls are getting some new friends.

Love the look of that coop, how long did it take you to build them. I know about this chicken math ha ha, I borrowed tools from friends and family since I don't really know if I will be using them after the project. I bought my windows and some hardware online, I saved quite a lot on those. Windows on local hardware will cost me almost $100/piece. Got 4 of those for $30/piece. I use 4x8 FRT panels on floors and walls. I think was cheaper than linoleum, saw them being used on walls for commercial kitchens and googled how to attach them.

It started in September but sat with only the framing and plywood walls up until this month when things really started to get going. When you have 12 chicks in the kitchen priorities get set straight haha. The siding was done last week from a free privacy fence I got...cut down each fence panel and nailed them up. The roof is halfway done and the framing for the nest boxes complete with plywood.

Here's a picture from today. Going to start cutting the nest box plywood to shape and hopefully finish that whole section of the coop today. And finish the roof (need more shingles *sigh*) Then on to windows and doors and the coop is done. And we get to start the run.

Last edited:
So funny Skyvaulter, sounds like us. This is the first project of this scale that I have done, and I make about 5 trips to HD a week, everything adds up so quickly and it seems like I never have enough dang screws! The shingles were $25 a box there and I literally am ONE single shingle short. I refuse to buy another box, lol.

To the OP, including screws, paint, sandpaper and all that, I'd say we have spent about $350 on our 4x6 coop. Our "run" will be the plastic garden fencing and some inexpensive stakes for now.. the hens will be locked up tight in the coop at night and we are in a suburban neighborhood so really no need for hardware cloth around our run.

Back
Top Bottom