Coop Progress.. PICS :)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ducks_rcool329, May 8, 2011.

1. ducks_rcool329

ducks_rcool329 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Black Forest, Colorado
    Okay so here is my coop-in-progress for my 10 little bantam chickens [​IMG]
    It goes right next to the duck coop. In the pics it looks like the stained t5 is the back wall, but it isn't, its part of the duck coop. I have some siding to use for the back and front walls. I was considering just using the t5 from the duck coop as them back wall, and just have them be attached.

Cutting the wood and getting it all right took 2 weeks ( about 10 minutes a day lol) and then painted and cutting the floor took a day. Everything else took 1 day.

I didn't get the right amount of lumber... SO i dug this up from behind the hay shed. its older than our house. fancy.

[​IMG]
    Most of the pieces cut and in position, but not secured

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The Coop Location
    [​IMG]
    Fast forward 3 hours and 3 gallons of left over "salmon" and "forest green" latex painting, ( several coats for protection)
    [​IMG]
    the base frame in place, and secured together.
    [​IMG]
    The floor and its studs. I had to cut the floor in half because i found out that after 1 hour of trying to wedge it in there, that It wouldn't fit in in once piece because of the corners.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The floor is now all installed, not pictured is the layer of roof sealant (rubber in a jar) that i put over the seem in the middle and all around the corners. The floor is coated with: 2 layers of SPRAN urethane, 2 layers of roof sealant, 2 layers of latex paint, and then another layer of SPRAN, and the seems sealed with the rubber roof sealant.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 8, 2011
  2. coloradonewbie

coloradonewbie Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2011
    Wow, you really are sealing everything well! We're just getting ready to caulk and paint our coop that's out of ReSourced OSB and plywood -- I'm trying to figure out a cheap way to seal it before I paint with Kilz-eze, because otherwise it's going to take (unaffordable) gallons of the stuff! I think I'm going to go look for some linoleum remnants, and hope that suffices!

[​IMG]

3. ducks_rcool329

ducks_rcool329 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Black Forest, Colorado
    I just used paint and sealant that i found in our garage, it's about 20 ih years old, except for the paint which was like 5. For my 4x8 foot OSB board, I only used a little over 1/2 of the small quart sized can.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by