Coop Progress (pics)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jaku, May 10, 2008.

1. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm building this while I build the tractor for my meat birds. Now that the tractor's done, I'll be able to work solely on this one. Smelly Cornish X's out of the brooder tomorrow, yeah!!

This one is framed in 2x4's, pressure treated where touching the ground. It's sitting on a foundation of sunken 2x8's, to keep out predators. There are three access doors- a general one in the front, and two in the back- one for egg collection, and one for cleanout. I still have a lot to go, obviously. I sheeted the roof today, and will shingle it tomorrow. I'm a little behind in my pics- I also have siding up on it now. I'll post more pics later. Thank you bigmike&nan for the design inspiration!

The base frame is 6'x10'. The upper coop area is 6'x4'. It will hold 6 layers when I'm done.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. paisleycj

paisleycj Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2008
    Minnesota
    Nice looking coop. Looks like you know what you're doing with framing!

3. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Oooh that's cute! I can't wait to see it finished [​IMG]

4. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    WOW that is a really nice looking coop [​IMG]

5. Jolyn

Jolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Northern California
    Do you have a picture of your tractor too? I'd like to see what a tractor looks like.

Thanks,
    Jodie

6. jaku

Thanks everyone- actually my dad was visiting, and HE knows what he's doing framing more than I do! Here's the tractor for my meat birds:
    [​IMG]

7. Jolyn

Jolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Northern California
    Thanks for sharing pictures. So for meat birds you just keep them in that tractor? They don't run around as much as egg layers? Oh no i'm getting ideas!!! Hahaha!!! Don't tell my husband just yet. He's still building the run for my coop. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 10, 2008
  8. jaku

Quote:Yup- I'll move it to fresh ground every day. At three weeks, they're already getting too fat to move around much. I can't imagine what they're going to be like by butchering day!

9. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Quote:Yup- I'll move it to fresh ground every day. At three weeks, they're already getting too fat to move around much. I can't imagine what they're going to be like by butchering day!

I can't wait to get some cornish of my own, but I'm not really looking forward to butchering them all LOL. And I love your icon btw. Adorable [​IMG]

10. grullablue

grullablue Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Madison, Wisconsin
    I LOVE it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by