Coop Question to build big or not

Mikedero

Songster
8 Years
Mar 22, 2012
Watertown CT
Ok I am stuck. I have 9 Chickens now they are in a 4X8 Coop and a 8X20 Run. I am getting another 9 next month.

My question is Should I just build one big coop to house all 18-20 Chickens or just build another coop like my first one???

the money difference is not that much and I can offset it by selling my smaller coop.

Here are my thoughts on the larger coop
8X10 with a 10X30 run

I know I would have to keep the new chickens seperate until at least 16-20 weeks and from what I read I should put them in the new coop first then add the older (1 year old) chickens to that coop.

Thoughts suggestions are welcomed

thanks all as always I gotta love how everyone helps each other here

If it were me, I'd add on to the existing coop to make it larger. That might be less expensive, as well.

I'm in a similar - but smaller - boat. I have three girls in a large chicken tractor right now. I plan on getting at least 6 more chicks in the next few weeks so we're building a permanent structure 8 x 10. Local laws only allow me 20 chickens max and 8 x 10 should be of size to house 20 if I ever get to that point. My chicken tractor will then be used for chicks, introducing new birds, quarantine, brooding or to separate birds if needed due to sickness, injury, etc. They will have a run similar in size to yours.

Good luck on whatever you decide and don't forget to send us pics!

Maybe build on to existing coop and make it so you can divide it keeping birds under same roof but separated by chicken wire. Then they can see each other until they get to be of a size to integrate.

Last edited:
I'm planning on building an 8X4 to house 16 chickens. Your plan of 20 isn't far off from that. Just adding an extra 4 feet to end of existing coop would be plenty of added roosting space and then you'd only move one side of run out 4'. From ease and monetary standing that's an attractive option Though my chicken management style doesn't keep chickens in a coop during days, they are always in run excepting to lay eggs in coop attached nesting boxes. If your management keeps chickens inside coop during days then you'd be better off building from scratch.

Something to think on is if your planning to keep separate flocks. As in different breeds in adjoining runs and coops. If that's the case then two coops might be in order, if not then the chickens will pack themselves into one coop so you'd want to build one big one.

Here is a picture of my Coop. I can not add to it due to the design of it. PLus I can not add to the run size where it is at. the reason being if I come out another 4-5 feet I am over my septic tank and the lid that the guy needs to pump it out. So I was going to build the new coop on the back of the property. It does not help that my yard drops about 10 feet (it is all hill but the sides are not) I figure I can get at least 500.00 for this coop. Re-use the panels for the run (I get these free at work) and it might only cost me another 500.00 out of pocket as I have a ton of wood and supplies left over from the first build

No they only use the coop to sleep in and lay eggs. But during bad weather like the blizzard we had they stayed inside for 2 todays by their choice.

I can add to the run no problem but it looks kind of hard to change my coop. take a look at the picture above. let me know maybe i can remove the nexting box side add another 4X8 section to that???

But I am worried that it might be to close to my septic tank and this thing is not moving unless I get like 6 guys it weighs a TON well almost a ton LOL

Your coop is about the size of my tractor. My husband built the tractor and it's too large to easily "tractor" around, which is why we're doing a permanent coop now.

Definitely go with the bigger coop but I'd consider keeping the smaller one if you have a spot where you can tuck it away - possibly next to the bigger one. I bet you'd find many uses for it as your flock expands.

We haven't started building our coop yet, and I'm in the same boat. I have 15 Lorp chicks, just arrived today - I know the finished size should be 2 sq. ft./bird, but I'm actually considering getting more Lorp chicks this afternoon - a local farm has hatched out some 250 chicks, all Lorps, and have them up for sale.

Our "run" is actually a yard - it's fenced, about 16' x 28', so we've got plenty of room to build a nice permanent coop. I know we DO want a 2' raised one, 1/2" hardware mesh floor - we are having a hard time trying to figure out just how big we want to go - 6' x 10', or 8' x 12'. We're not raising them for meat selling or egg selling - those will be for our family and friends and to barter with other local farmers. I'm wanting to start a small hatchery here in cooperation with the other farm I mentioned if I do anything profit-wise with our birds.

We were looking into just having one crafted for us - but
ep.gif
$4000!!

Thankfully, I'm pretty handy with tools and woodworking - thanks to having a grandfather who allowed me to help and create in his wood shop (he was the Dean of Drafting/Design at a local college for years before he moved up to VP of the college) - LOTS of experience gleaned in there beside him. My hubby was a framer and finish carpenter for over 7 years, so we're pretty confident in our skills. We're just having a time of figuring out how many birds/how big of a coop to go with.

We haven't started building our coop yet, and I'm in the same boat. I have 15 Lorp chicks, just arrived today - I know the finished size should be 2 sq. ft./bird, but I'm actually considering getting more Lorp chicks this afternoon - a local farm has hatched out some 250 chicks, all Lorps, and have them up for sale.

Our "run" is actually a yard - it's fenced, about 16' x 28', so we've got plenty of room to build a nice permanent coop. I know we DO want a 2' raised one, 1/2" hardware mesh floor - we are having a hard time trying to figure out just how big we want to go - 6' x 10', or 8' x 12'. We're not raising them for meat selling or egg selling - those will be for our family and friends and to barter with other local farmers. I'm wanting to start a small hatchery here in cooperation with the other farm I mentioned if I do anything profit-wise with our birds.

We were looking into just having one crafted for us - but
ep.gif
$4000!!

Thankfully, I'm pretty handy with tools and woodworking - thanks to having a grandfather who allowed me to help and create in his wood shop (he was the Dean of Drafting/Design at a local college for years before he moved up to VP of the college) - LOTS of experience gleaned in there beside him. My hubby was a framer and finish carpenter for over 7 years, so we're pretty confident in our skills. We're just having a time of figuring out how many birds/how big of a coop to go with.

I've always heard 4 sq. ft. per bird in the coop, 10 sq. ft. in the run as an estimation of space and 2 feet of roosting board per bird. I'm sure that depends on what size birds you have but I'd always go for bigger if I could. Don't forget a few sq. ft. for storage. I've learned the hard way how important storage space is as I've got feed, scratch, and pine shavings stored in totes in my house!

Our garage is right next to the chicken yard (great digging-predator deterrence, that concrete is flush with the bottom/buried fencing) so we were thinking of storing all supplies there - but your advice rings so very true. What if something happens to the garage door and I can't get it open for feeding? I really don't want to tromp all the way upstairs, out the front door, around to the side gate, down the drive, and finally into the chicken yard gate with buckets of feed and water.
he.gif

Back
Top Bottom