1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. equinehugger3

equinehugger3 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2010
    My poor coop is dying under the weight of all that snow we just got (like two feet!) and it's not quite enough space, so I really want to build a "house" coop this spring or summer. I've read of some people who buy a playhouse and convert the inside to a coop. Is it better to just do this, or to build it from scratch? (<I don't have a problem with building it from scratch) For now this is all I have, but I'll probably be adding more questions later [​IMG] Thanks!

Last edited: Dec 13, 2010
  2. bitsbite

bitsbite New Egg

Dec 13, 2010
    I looked at a number of different ways to "upgrade" my coop. I ended up buying a couple of pretty good plans off the internet and combined them to make my coop. Now has electricity run to it for the cold winter nights (heat lamp) and the ability to give their water a heated base. Sure was a lot easier building it myself than converting something. IMHO...

3. Cargo

Cargo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2010
    Farmington, NM
    Building from scratch is better without a doubt. But can be more expensive.
    We recycle pallets and playhouses, etc. for 2 reasons:
    1. Trying to save money.
    2. Recycling is cool.

Recycling can cost you more in the long run if you are not terribly handy.

4. equinehugger3

Apr 14, 2010
    Quote:Yeah, I'm kind of torn... I have no clue what I'm gonna choose!

5. equinehugger3

Apr 14, 2010
    Quote:Cool, thanks! I think we're mostly leaning toward stufff like that ^, kind of following a mixture of plans like that.

6. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
  7. bitsbite

bitsbite New Egg

Dec 13, 2010
    If this works, here is an image of mine. A lot more snow out there now so that was why I put on the doors to open in. Vents under each eave. Left side is all roosts and right side is laying boxes and food/water area. I call it the "chicken taj mahal" [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. equinehugger3

Apr 14, 2010
    Quote:Hmm, those are really pretty! I bet those could be easily modified... I'll keep my eye on them [​IMG]

9. equinehugger3

Apr 14, 2010
    Quote:Haha, that's pretty! That's a good set-up too... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by