1. chicken_noob

chicken_noob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2011
    Chehalis WA.
    I was looking at many coops since I have yet got to the point where I need one...but will be soon. I see a lot of them that are built about 2' off the ground. Is this to make it easier to do maintenance/gather eggs? Thanks for your time and info.

2. Mama Hen Chris

Mama Hen Chris Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2010
    Peoria, AZ
    It also gives more room for the girls to run around and to sit in the shade. My gals hang out under there and have their dust baths and also to get out from the rain (when we have rain!! )

Little girls "apartment" we made when integrating the new with the established. Nice and roomy underneath and they love to sit under there.
    [​IMG]

Our coop looking from the "apartment".
    [​IMG]

3. chi-rn

chi-rn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    Building at least a couple feet off ground means less chance predators like mice & rats will take up quarters under there![​IMG]

4. CatDaddyAlbert

CatDaddyAlbert NoFeathersRuffled

Apr 22, 2011
    Gumboro, Delaware
    Quote:VERY NICE Chris, VERY NICE: [​IMG]

5. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nice set up... lucky chickens. Do I see a little giant waterer there in the background? Have you had any issues with it?

Last edited: Jul 3, 2011
  6. Mama Hen Chris

Aug 24, 2010
    Peoria, AZ
    Quote:VERY NICE Chris, VERY NICE: [​IMG]

Thank you! This is our second coop. DH made me a coop last August for my birthday and I got 4 chicks. Chicken math set in and I have 10 now!!!

Old coop and run..enough room for 4!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Mama Hen Chris

Aug 24, 2010
    Peoria, AZ
    Quote:WE have an automatic waterer for the girls. We used to have a fish pond in that area and it was an autofill so DH just made it for the waterer.

The only issue I noticed in the summer here, the water is hot coming out of the pipe. This is our first summer with the girls. I put a 6 quart (pink) bucket with ice under their "patio" and it stays pretty cold throughout the day. Otherwise, haven't had any problems. I also have a gallon waterer in their coop along with some food.

Our girls are spoiled. DH made a mister for their run and installed an A/C unit in their coop. The girls are getting smart and I find them in the cool coop during the day. Also installed a web cam so we can watch the girls while we are at work. http://www.ustream.tv/channel/chick-coop-cam

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 3, 2011
  8. chickens friend

chickens friend Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2009
    Southwest virginia
    KDK1 it looks to be a little giant waterer that hangs from the top and lets the weight of the water regulate the level. I bought one of the chick size ones from them several years ago think it would help in raising meat birds because they drink so much water, but the only thing I could get it to do was flood the pen, completely stop up, or the chicks would run into it and spill water everywhere. I now use a little giant one gallon waterer until they get 3-4 weeks of age then switch them to a automatic horse waterer that I bought from tractor supply and it has worked great for me. I also collect rain water from my roof and use that water with a gravity fed system to keep the automatic waterer full:).

9. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I bought one and many issues with it. They sent me replcement valves, it still ran over. They sent me a new stem assembly and it still ran over. I finally bought a replacement brass post that the stem goes in and solved the problem. Wound up costing me about $45. But at least it works now. I built another one out of 4" PVC and a toilet fill valve... it works great!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Tenmore

Tenmore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Ogden utah
    I like the ARCW [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by