Coop question

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Iamjero, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Iamjero

Iamjero Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2011
    Gonzales, La
    First let me introduce Ching (California White), Chang (Rhode Island Red), and Chong (Brahamia)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the coop I built... uhh, I mean am in the process of building, and I have a question about keeping these egg machines happy all Winter.

[​IMG]

As you can see the coop part is closed in on all sides but the gaps between the rafters.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I got these chickens from a local farmer so Im guessing they are pretty cold hearty. I know they need fresh dry air more than they need warmth, but I live in Denver and it can get pretty cold up here in the Winter. The coop is 3' x 5' so theres probably a little more than 15 square feet of ventilation as it is now. My question is do you guys think I should close the roof of the coop up and put vents that I can open and close, or is that not necessary? I was also thinking about just putting up facia and soffit around the coop part of the roof.

Any ideas?

2. top of the hill

top of the hill Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    Connecticut
    seems to be the topic on everyones minds today... how to winterize!

Beautiful girls! I know the Rhode Islands are cold hardy, not sure about the others.

From what I have been reading, plenty of warmth on the ground level by adding a few inches of extra pine shavings (or hay) and make sure there is no draft, especially along the roost line. Personally, I would leave the opening at the rafter level because you will need that ventilation to wisk out the moisture (poop, chickens breathing etc.) and prevent any frostbite from occuring. check out some of the threads in coop design section... very helpful!

3. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    I wish I could say that it is perfect and not change a thing because that is pretty much how I envision building mine when the time comes. But I don't ahve mine built yet, nor do I have chickens. [​IMG]

My only change would be to put a sheet of insulation under that metal roof. My concern being the moist, warm air rising and hitting that cold roof may cause drips and icicles.

How are the winds in your area? You might want to make one of the outside run walls solid to give them a place they can get outside and yet be out of the wind.

4. Iamjero

Apr 10, 2011
    Gonzales, La
    I plan on putting up a tarp around one side of the run, to the right of the door, and three sides of the area under the coop.

5. BantamoftheOpera

BantamoftheOpera Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Southern Maine
    Quote:x2

6. Iamjero

Apr 10, 2011
    Gonzales, La
    And you are very right about the condensation from the metal roof. I think Ill have to do something about that. Ive already noticed some condensation so I imagine it will get pretty bad this winter.

I think that means installing a ceiling and placing the vents so that the air doesnt contact the cold metal roof?

7. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Since it looks like the roof is on a 1" thick board and then that is sitting on your rafters, you might be able to get some of that 1" foam board up there between the boards, and if you use the foil wrapped, you may not need to cover it with plywood or anything, just a couple of wood scraps to hold it in place. That should be enough to stop the cold from condensing moisture in the coop and still keep most of your ventilation open.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  8. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    The chicken wire stapled to the inside will be easily pushed out of place by coons, possum ect. I would replace it with hardware cloth, or wood. Remember chickens have a great feather down coat on, they get hot faster than they get cold. Keep them free of drafts, but allow for fresh air and food, water they will be very happy. Large flat roosts so they can cover their feet in the cold to protect them.

9. arcatamarcia

arcatamarcia Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2009
    I too recommend that you leave it open, but replace the chicken wire on the roof with hardware cloth. The additional ventilation will help keep it dry inside. Cold is fine, wet isn't.

10. ladyride

ladyride Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    East Tn
    Quote:x2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by