coop question

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by michelle59, Mar 10, 2012.

1. michelle59

michelle59 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2012
    Here is my thought for a coop... feedback please:) I have a extra large dog crate with a side and front door,with removable pan. I was looking at the crate and thought , hmm I think I could make this into a coop, the inside door could have a little ramp to the ground. Inside I could fashion a set of low boxes for nest. Rooster rod I could hang it down low enough for the chickens. I could find a old stand or table and set the crate onto of that and then fashion a waterproof wraparound for the crate or a dog crate cover whick has the rollup for the side windows giving ventalation.. I then would place the coop into a 4x4 enlosure with a roof. Does this make sense? Do you think it could work?

2. michelle59

michelle59 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2012
    I forgot to mention I want only 3-4 chickens and they would be free range during the day and in the crate at night only.

3. georgiagail

georgiagail Chillin' With My Peeps

The tractor coop/run we made using an Igloo dog house a tenant left behind.

We call it "The Honeymoon Cabin" although, since it now holds a trio of bantams, I guess it's more like a sister wives cabin.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by