Coop questions... please help :)

Yogimama

Chirping
Apr 17, 2022
Central NYS
So, I’m new to chickens (don’t even have them yet). The plan is to start with 6. I am in central NY, so cold temps, snow (and lots of wind).

I apologize in advance...I have done a ton of reading but still have a TON of questions on this, so this will be long 😳😬

I am trying to refurb this solid wood garbage can “house” to use as a coop. (At least for now). I would like to build bigger but this option was 100% free, so trying to make it work for now.

The dimensions are : 50” high at back, 40” high in front (the open side), 36” deep & 86” long.

It’s made from hemlock, and stained. The roof is metal attached to the rafters, no insulation or plywood. Currently lid lifts but I will likely at least latch it down to keep the wind from whipping it up, depending on the input I get.

The plan: build a 8’ x 10’ run 2” x 4” construction with 1/4” hardware cloth on all sides and coming out two feet horizontally around the outside. I plan to cover the run with metal panels, pitched to help with rain/snow, high enough to walk into. The run would be built as a solid piece, placed up against the coop, attached on the back (highest) side, only where we cut out the door/ramp for them. We’ll build the door framing with the hardware cloth from the run integrated so there’s no way for any predator to get in.

The coop (staying up about 2’ off ground on the pallets) would be lined on the floor and at least part way up the walls with some older linoleum I have laying around, and coop itself would help block wind/snow from the run, and the coop roof would be angled away, to not let rain dump into run.

Two large doors would replace the broken doors, one of which would have a window & one (on the left side) would have the nesting boxes built into it (so they are not taking up interior space).

The plan was to take the shelf that’s in there now out, put one long roost running the length but after some reading, I wondered if it would be better to have two across the depth instead? This would give them more landing space and/or ramp access. The concern with that would be not enough space above thier heads for the air flow that would come from the gaps on the roof. Thoughts on this?

Thoughts on roost height? I’m thinking 24”? (But some of the breeds I was considering are said to prefer higher? So should I not get them?

Roof gaps: are these ok? If so, is this adequate ventilation or should I cut some holes in the high points of the peaks? Or across the whole wall on the highest side?

Small gaps in between wall boards...should I caulk these? If I leave them, there will be some wind coming in across the roosting areas obviously. The floor is actually tongue/groove so no gaps there, and no plan to wrap in wire.

Metal roof...should I put a plywood barrier to avoid condensation?

Will nesting boxes be ok getting the brunt of the wind? The window being on this side (or cut out of the right wall) would allow for the most light, based on where I plan to put the coop. It’s easiest to build it into the door we have to build.

I planned on sand for the run, but after some reading, am thinking wood chips would be better?
I was planning on sand in the coop as well, but might rethink that. I want the easiest for cleaning. Maybe seasonally the “best” option would be different (sand in summer, deep litter in fall/winter?

Sorry for the long post..I welcome any and all thoughts/ideas, even if they are completely different than my “plan”.... I’ve never done anything like this before, so appreciate the wisdom from those who have :)

Thanks!

Attachments

• D117BF2A-01EE-49BB-B06E-4388D6256698.jpeg
    D117BF2A-01EE-49BB-B06E-4388D6256698.jpeg
    881.2 KB · Views: 47
  • A821ECA8-D591-4A7F-B71A-5D5F8F8135A0.jpeg
    A821ECA8-D591-4A7F-B71A-5D5F8F8135A0.jpeg
    885.8 KB · Views: 29
  • 40A9258E-C0DA-4D53-A2F4-A778B4B7DE62.jpeg
    40A9258E-C0DA-4D53-A2F4-A778B4B7DE62.jpeg
    828.5 KB · Views: 27
  • 1A1D2CAC-11A0-4903-9D01-0300D6335DBB.jpeg
    1A1D2CAC-11A0-4903-9D01-0300D6335DBB.jpeg
    731.8 KB · Views: 19
  • AAC66033-B448-40A6-B8D7-846A3F9DAE2B.jpeg
    AAC66033-B448-40A6-B8D7-846A3F9DAE2B.jpeg
    454.5 KB · Views: 30
  • C8176C9A-AE3F-44DC-9677-139C4EC998C9.jpeg
    C8176C9A-AE3F-44DC-9677-139C4EC998C9.jpeg
    534.3 KB · Views: 29
  • 970F3E6D-4B1E-4979-96EC-D6587F2C5AC4.jpeg
    970F3E6D-4B1E-4979-96EC-D6587F2C5AC4.jpeg
    903.6 KB · Views: 27
Metal roof is fine, little holes in the coop and perfect ventilation, and your roosts should just be higher than the nesting boxes. I'd say above 1 1/2 foot but doesn't matter if it's higher.

And those are all the questions I can answer 100% lol good luck!

That looks like a nice starter structure. Even better that it is free!

I have an idea about that shelf. Why not leave it in and convert it to a poop board by finding a tray or something you can slide out and fill with a shallow layer of PDZ? Then put your two roosts above it going the short way across the coop. With that set up, the chickens can still use the entire floor but it won't be as poopy.

That's a great start for a nice coop. You are probably maxed out at 6.
I would build a frame to set the coop on. Make it at least 2' tall so they have a snow free area under the coop. Cover the area with hardware cloth and find some free windows or polycarbonate panels on CL to make a nice winter sunroom. Feed, water and a dust bath can go there.
Leave the top hinged so you can open it up to work on it and clean. Hasps and carabiners will keep the lid secure. 2 nest boxes on the short side sticking out is the only way to save floor space. The double doors are going to be a weak point. It's going to need to support a dog jumping up on it. Maybe even a bear... Is the window on the front going to open? I see things getting stuffy and hot in the summer. I would leave all the gaps in the boards as is. Unless blowing snow can get in, you really need all the ventilation. A cross breeze in the summer would be nice. Natural light?
The coop is kind of narrow to place the roost lengthwise. It needs to be 15" from the wall so unless they fly down sideways (which isn't that big of a deal) they will crash into the wall. I would probably start with one lengthwise no more than 2' up. Keep them in the middle. Not too close to the roof. You might have to change it to widthwise but it will take 10 minutes to fix.
You look to have an abundance of leaves and tree mulch so I would definitely start with those. You can always try sand down the road if you don't like those. I do leaves, wood chips or straw as those are what I have on hand. Leaves and tree mulch are free too.

I'm pretty new, but I've done a ton of research. The whole structure looks great. The only holes I would fix would be the lowest ones, for pest control. If it were cost effective, wrapping the entire structure with 1/4" cloth would be great. The noxious gasses and smell rise, so the upper holes are needed for venting. The venting is crucial for the health of the birds.
Have you thought about a heat source in the winter?

That looks like a nice starter structure. Even better that it is free!

I have an idea about that shelf. Why not leave it in and convert it to a poop board by finding a tray or something you can slide out and fill with a shallow layer of PDZ? Then put your two roosts above it going the short way across the coop. With that set up, the chickens can still use the entire floor but it won't be as poopy.
I like that idea! Thanks 😊

I would build a frame to set the coop on. Make it at least 2' tall so they have a snow free area under the coop. Cover the area with hardware cloth and find some free windows or polycarbonate panels on CL to make a nice winter sunroom. Feed, water and a dust bath can go there.
This is a great idea for expansion!

Leave the top hinged so you can open it up to work on it and clean. Hasps and carabiners will keep the lid secure. 2 nest boxes on the short side sticking out is the only way to save floor space. The double doors are going to be a weak point. It's going to need to support a dog jumping up on it. Maybe even a bear... Is the window on the front going to open? I see things getting stuffy and hot in the summer. I would leave all the gaps in the boards as is. Unless blowing snow can get in, you really need all the ventilation. A cross breeze in the summer would be nice. Natural light?
Yes, I would make sure the window could open for extra ventilation in the summer. And yes, that would be the only natural light into the coop. I have a spare window to use (it might even be too big, in which case I’ll just cut a hole, use hardware cloth and plexiglass for winter.
Since the wall’s gaps are on the sides and back (in terms of where the wind comes from most, I don’t think snow will get in, often anyway.
The coop is kind of narrow to place the roost lengthwise. It needs to be 15" from the wall so unless they fly down sideways (which isn't that big of a deal) they will crash into the wall. I would probably start with one lengthwise no more than 2' up. Keep them in the middle. Not too close to the roof. You might have to change it to widthwise but it will take 10 minutes to fix.
Yeah, I wish it was not as narrow. I forgot about the 15” from the wall, so thank you!

Back
Top Bottom