1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Coop Questions

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by T.N.Hughes, Feb 23, 2009.

1. T.N.Hughes

T.N.Hughes New Egg

Feb 23, 2009
    So we are getting 10 chicks from Ideal which means we will likely have 20+ chicks really. I was going to build a chicken arc a la Catawba Converticoop but I am beginning to think that won't be enough room for 10+ chickens (I live in town and will have to get rid of any roosters). I have a concrete slab that was originally the floor of a shed which we got rid of years ago. The slab is 10x10 so it would be a good size. I think I would like to go with a design that I saw on the Univ. of Tenessee Extension site. It is a 10x12 plan but I think it will convert to 10x10 and be fine.

The question is: Do any of you have cement floors in your coops? I was hoping to leave the cement bare to save money.

Thanks all

2. Farmer Brown

Farmer Brown Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    Good luck with the coop sorry I have no advise about the concrete floor just wanted to say [​IMG]

3. 98 gt

98 gt a man of many... chickens

Jan 14, 2009
    Marshville NC
    keep it bare, but put staw down... (oxymoron??) so that it isnt too cold and that there is a medium for them to do their "business" on... it will clean up in a cinch if you leave a 1-2" gap around the floor for an easy "wash out"

4. emandmikey

emandmikey Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    Wake Forest, NC
    Yes - the Catawba Converticoop will not be big enough for that many birds. I love the design, but it's best for 3-4 large breed birds, or 5-6 bantams. I would definitely use the slab you have for a coop, and just throw some pine chips, or straw on it, and you've got a great system! Good luck! Em

5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Building on your 10x10 existing slab sounds like an EXCELLENT idea. Make sure to tie your walls into the slab though so the coop can't just blow over (seriously).

Cement is a wonderful coop flooring, you just need to put a good amount of bedding over it.

Have fun,

Pat

6. mitchell

mitchell New Egg

Feb 21, 2009
    kentucky
    how do you post a question on here

7. 98 gt

98 gt a man of many... chickens

Jan 14, 2009
    Marshville NC
    Using the "post new topic" button at the top right... Then to to town with it..
    Btw you just posted your first!!

8. HappyHatch'en

HappyHatch'en Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2009
    GEORGIA
    The rule is 4 sq.ft.per bird for the coop and larger for pen....is it 10 sq. ft? I think 4 sq. ft is generous, but I do think a larger pen is nice for the birds to play. Chickens like to scratch in the dirt....concrete???
    HappyHatch'en

Last edited: Feb 23, 2009
  9. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    T.N.Hughes :

So we are getting 10 chicks from Ideal which means we will likely have 20+ chicks really. I was going to build a chicken arc a la Catawba Converticoop but I am beginning to think that won't be enough room for 10+ chickens (I live in town and will have to get rid of any roosters). I have a concrete slab that was originally the floor of a shed which we got rid of years ago. The slab is 10x10 so it would be a good size. I think I would like to go with a design that I saw on the Univ. of Tenessee Extension site. It is a 10x12 plan but I think it will convert to 10x10 and be fine.

The question is: Do any of you have cement floors in your coops? I was hoping to leave the cement bare to save money.

Thanks all

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have a concrete floor in my coop and it works great easy to clean and preditors proof.
    check out my byc webpage below.

good luck with your project.

Omran​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by