Coop questions

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Mr.Grantly, May 3, 2009.

1. Mr.Grantly

Mr.Grantly Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2009
    I built a chicken tractor with laying boxes about 10plus years ago and I just got my first layiing hens this spring.(I moved off the farm and lived in town for all these years) So I've got a few questions now that I'm up and running.I have 3 iso browns. had them 4 days 12eggs!

1. is there such a thing as to many laying boxes.
    2. I made my perch out of a 1by 6 good or bad choice?
    3.How do I get them to keep the nesting boxes cleaner?
    4.Should they be on full feed all the time?
    5. What is the stocking rates for a tractor is 4feet if they have a run or is that assuming that they get out side and if they dont would you decrease stocking rates/
    6. What is a sign that your over crowded.
    7. I made them that perch and they still sit on the feeder. Whats up with that ? The feeder is about 6inches off the ground.
    8. How long will these chickens lay eggs
    9. How warm will I have to keep the coop in the winter ?

Thanks everyone love the site. Lots of great and cool ideas. Its the best part of my day going out with my 3 year old son the get eggs.Hes is so proud when he brings them in the house for mom. I've wanted chickens for a long time and I have very thankfully to have them and for this wicked site
    Thanks
    Grant and Wacey

2. pixie12

pixie12 Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2009
    Hi,

Where do you live (how cold are the winters)? I can't answer most of your questions, b/c I just started with chickens.

How many nesting boxes do you have?

What does the perch look like? Did you round it off? I wonder if it is wide enough.

I have read that they lay anywhere from 2-4 years. I think it depends.

Hopefuly someone else will read this and reply.

Good luck...

3. flopshot

flopshot Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    Mr.Grantly :

I built a chicken tractor with laying boxes about 10plus years ago and I just got my first layiing hens this spring.(I moved off the farm and lived in town for all these years) So I've got a few questions now that I'm up and running.I have 3 iso browns. had them 4 days 12eggs!

1. is there such a thing as to many laying boxes.
    2. I made my perch out of a 1by 6 good or bad choice?
    3.How do I get them to keep the nesting boxes cleaner?
    4.Should they be on full feed all the time?
    5. What is the stocking rates for a tractor is 4feet if they have a run or is that assuming that they get out side and if they dont would you decrease stocking rates/
    6. What is a sign that your over crowded.
    7. I made them that perch and they still sit on the feeder. Whats up with that ? The feeder is about 6inches off the ground.
    8. How long will these chickens lay eggs
    9. How warm will I have to keep the coop in the winter ?

Thanks everyone love the site. Lots of great and cool ideas. Its the best part of my day going out with my 3 year old son the get eggs.Hes is so proud when he brings them in the house for mom. I've wanted chickens for a long time and I have very thankfully to have them and for this wicked site
    Thanks
    Grant and Wacey

1. yes. figure one box per three or four birds. i went with a 1:3 ratio with the provision to block off selected boxes.
    2. 1X6 is fine if it's supported propely to prevent sag.
    3. not sure what you men by getting 'them' to keep the nest box clean. make sure they aren't using the box as a roost because the coop is crowded or they don't feel secure when in the coop.
    4. depends on free range time but i provide feed 24/7.
    5. need the square footage of the tractor. the run helps but you need to look at the enclosed portion to calculate. figure three to four square feet per bird. maybe a litte less for smaller breeds.
    6. aggressive behaviour, pecking, fighting. they're social but there are limits.
    7. is the perch / roost higher than the feeder ? it should be. is it large enough for them to use comfortably ? too narrow or thin and they may choose the feeder instead.
    8. 2-3- years ?
    9. not sure about your breed. you'll get different responses as to temps but the key is to keep down the humidity. below 15 or 20 degrees you might want a heat source but it's probably not needed fo they are out of the elements and in a dry environment. your birds will be well fed and protected from the elements compared to the wildlife species and they seem to make it ok.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by