coop questions

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by hddave2, Dec 2, 2011.

1. hddave2

hddave2 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2011
    harrodsburg ky.
    hello...this will be my first coop and first time raising chickens..im in ky. and winter is setting in and im wanting to build a 4ftx8ft x4ft tall coop in my 16ft x 18ft building .. my question is can i keep the chickens in the coop during winter in my building till spring time then build a out door coop with run outside or do the chickens need to be inside some and outside some..im wanting to get about 4 or 5 laying hens to keep

2. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    If I'm understanding you, you will allow them out of the 4x8 coop and into the larger building to roam, but it will be inside, no access to the outdoors? If that's the question, that's fine and plenty of room for them. Of course it's best for them to have outdoor access, however, they'll be fine for the winter in this scenario. If you're asking whether you can put them in a 4x8 coop ALL WINTER, and ONLY in the coop, yes, you can do that, too, but I would strongly discourage it. They'll begin pecking at each other out of boredom, and it's best for them to have room to stretch their wings.

3. hddave2

Dec 2, 2011
    harrodsburg ky.
    yes i was wanting to keep them in the 4ftx8ft coop through the winter then in the spring start a new and biger coop outside

4. silkymom1986

silkymom1986 The Silkie Villa

Sep 28, 2011
    Byhalia, MS
    I agree, the really do need somewhere to roam, whether it's in a building or outside, like Wynette said, they will start pecking and fighting of boredom. A cool idea I do in the winter when it';s real cold and my chickens don't like going out in there run as much is I take a string and tie it from the roof of the coop and tie a head of cabbage to the end and let it hang, they love playing with it so it gives them something to do, and it's good for them since all the green had pretty much died. Good luck, hope this helps some.

5. Jay262

Jay262 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    4x8 is enough room for 4 hens. They really only need 3 -5 square feet per chicken. A 4x8 coop is 32 square feet. Smaller the coop the warmer its inside aswell so if you only have 4 no reason for heat for them they will give plenty of body heat to keep it warm. You can also keep chickens inside all of the time it doesnt hurt them just alot of people perfer to free range them outside so they can eat more naturally on bugs grass etc. Being outside is often times done just as much for us as it is for the birds. I also wanna add i have had chickens for around 25 years and i never had chickens pick each other out of boredom from being in a smaller coop if there picking each other its a more of a underlying reason for it.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
  6. silkymom1986

silkymom1986 The Silkie Villa

Sep 28, 2011
    Byhalia, MS
    Sounds like you answered your own question then, good luck!

7. hddave2

Dec 2, 2011
    harrodsburg ky.
    yea i agree .. i do want them to free range in a bigger coop outside but im just getting started so i just thought i could keep them kinda cooped up this winter till spring when i can get out and build somthing alot biiger so they can have the best of both worlds..outside and inside...i just didnt want to keep them in over the winter and they end up dieing cuz i keep them sheltered too long...my thought was this...build a coop inside for the winter keep them inside till spring and hopfully get fresh eggs this winter...

8. Jay262

Jay262 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    They wont die from being inside. Most people who live in colder climates such as myself always keep there chickens inside during winter. Due to the amount of snow i get its not a option to have them outside anyhow. It is easier to maintain them if they have outside and im sure in the long run they will be heathier but as for in winter there ok staying inside.

9. hddave2

Dec 2, 2011
    harrodsburg ky.
    thanks for all the replys and great advice...now i just need to get somthing built from all the extra lumber i have laying around and find 4 good laying hens.. hopeing for some nice brown eggs...lol..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by