1. SteveandJayneO

SteveandJayneO Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2009
    Harpers Ferry Wv
    I have a question, In my coop my birds actually wait to use the ramp to get to the porch of the coop, not unusual but the porch is only about 6 inches off the ground. I would think that they would just hop up on it and walk in but no they all wait in line as the night comes. So the question is do your birds actually wait for the ramp to go in or do they just wonder in?
    P.S. the ramp was left there by mistake during building but now I just leave it there and watch the nightly line up.

2. damselfish

damselfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Ours don't wait in line. Sometimes they hop and then walk up the ramp from the bottom (which is about 8 inches off the ground). Others will flap up to the middle of the ramp and then stroll in from there. And they all seem to have their own timeframe over the course of 40 minutes or so.

I think you should take pics of your lineup and post them, it sounds cute.

[​IMG]

3. LittleFeat

LittleFeat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    Oh that sounds so cute. Mine will walk up the ramp sometimes but if I open the bigger door to the coop, they will fly up to it to go in. It's about 2' up. Coming out in the morning, they knock each other and sometimes me out of the way to either run down the ramp or if I'm not quick enough getting the ramp up, they will fly out the door sometimes even from the roosts. They are 5 weeks old. Just this weekend was the first they started using the higher roosts, opting instead to snuggle in the shavings under the red light, Sometimes I spoil them and put my hand out and give them an elevator ride down to the run! These guys (oh no I didn't say that!!!) these GALS are soooo funny and fun to watch. If someone had told me a year ago I'd have chickens I'd have thought they were crazy. Somewhere along the last year, I just sort of got the bug and now I'm having a blast learning about them and building a coop! [​IMG]

4. Darlasmum

Darlasmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2009
    La Crescenta, CA
    My girls walk up the ramp one or 2 at a time- and always in the same order. Sometimes Daisy, the ramp leader, will go up and down 2 or 3 times before going in the coop. Then the other 2 quickly follow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by