Coop Re-build

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by nancypo, Aug 1, 2010.

1. nancypo

nancypo Songster

Mar 26, 2010
    Boise
    My Coop
    Well we are day 2 into what was supposed to be a add-on/remodel, but my husband felt ti was better structurally to just use the "footprint". I'll post the pics of before and after and during. We're 90% recycled/free materials, so that's good and the chickens will love the bigger space especially when the ground is frozen and they can't free range.

Before pics-
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Hollywood Chickens

Hollywood Chickens Songster

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
    that is a very pretty before!

3. nancypo

nancypo Songster

Mar 26, 2010
    Boise
    My Coop
    Yes, but too small for the winter. So we added on, pictures up shortly. My husband did alot (with some help from me) this weekend already!

4. nancypo

nancypo Songster

Mar 26, 2010
    Boise
    My Coop
    Here's some new pics- the coop is about 3 feet deeper towards the back, about 3 feet longer on the left, with a higher pitched roof, and a seperate, free-hanging nestbox. Girls will have a bigger "run" below and bigger "condo" in the roosting area. They had to check it out of course... [​IMG] And they did a LONG, 3 way dustbath!!! Funny!!!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 2, 2010

5. nancypo

nancypo Songster

Mar 26, 2010
    Boise
    My Coop
    Well it's about 95% done, just needs to have roof overhang finshed, and painted. We almost tripled the floor size, made it taller and added a seperate nest box. Girls love the south window that they can see out of from their new perch (far left) and like the extra room! Sarah is using the nest box now. Will have finished in the next week, need paint. Much easier to clean with removable walls and more doors, no more down on my knees! We added some electrical connections too for heated waterer amd heat lamp for winter. I siliconed the nest box and upper roost for warmth in the winter. Some of the vents can be covered with some foam insulation for the winter. I'll buy some panels to attach. Much better we think with lots of free and recycled materials...

"Before" picture- [​IMG]

"After" picture-
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Girls enjoying the new perch-

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
  6. nancypo

nancypo Songster

Mar 26, 2010
    Boise
    My Coop
    bump

7. nancypo

nancypo Songster

Mar 26, 2010
    Boise
    My Coop
    Bought paint today, will post more pics when done. Roof overhang is finished...

8. SuziQ991

SuziQ991 Songster

Aug 18, 2009
    Missouri
    Very nice! What color are you painting it?

9. KDOGG331

KDOGG331 Crossing the Road 10 Years

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    very nice, im sure your girls enjoy it! [​IMG] and SuziQ991, shes probably painting it the same color as the rest of it so it matches, but im not sure, but i still think its a very nice coop/run! nice work nancypo! [​IMG] [​IMG]

*edited for spelling

Last edited: Aug 10, 2010

10. nancypo

nancypo Songster

Mar 26, 2010
    Boise
    My Coop
    Same as before, the sage green. I'll decorate it too [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by