Coop ready!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by 15lparker, Jun 28, 2011.

1. 15lparker

15lparker Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2011
    Illinois
    I have 1 week old chicks, this is also my FIRST flock of chickies, when should I put them out in the outside/inside coop??

2. BarredBuff

BarredBuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    In summer I wait til 3 weeks old............. but thats just me

[​IMG]

3. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    We started putting our babies out at four weeks and still brought them in at night. They started staying out fully at five weeks. It's definitely personal preference though one week might be a tad young.

4. linben

linben Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Austin, TX
    Picture of coop please. I love to look at coops....

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    I have a brooder coop. I put their brooder cage in it with their feed and water and a heat lamp at night. For their first week in their coop I keep the pop door shut. After a week and if the outdoor temp is good I open it and let them go out on their own. Sometimes it will take a few days before one will venture out then eventually the rest will follow. [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
  6. chickenbythesea

chickenbythesea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Nova Scotia
    we do things a bit different here... mine went out into their coop at 3 days, with a heat lamp of course. They've been out there having a ball and we've had no problems, even with the miserable spring we've had. They're 2.5 weeks and loving life... we put the lamp down low and have simply been raising it as they get bigger and the weather improves. The last 2 days we've been able to have the lamp of for the day light hours. hope this helps

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by